Thread: gas research LPG carb and 5S-FE inlet manifold

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default gas research LPG carb and 5S-FE inlet manifold

converting wifes 1995 Celica to LPG(gas only,no petrol)plan on cutting the inlet manifold just behind the throttle body and welding on a flange to take a gas research carb
    (I have a 440 carb,B2(GRA set up)mixer, 86l tank- which is a perfect fit between the rear struts
    Questions;
    Going to pick up an inlet manifold to play with as car is still in use, in case I cant get hold of an inlet from a 5S-FE cheap, is the inlet from a 3S-FE ,
    1)the same?
    2) will it bolt up if differences only slight?
    3)Any other manifolds bolt up to 5S-FE?

the Gas research carb I have is a 440cfm, Is this to big for a stock standard 2.2L engine? I,ve been told it might be to big, and won't be able to create enough vaccuum to suck fuel.
    Any LPG experts with imput?
    Is there a better system? there are a lot of Camry's with this motor running LPG, Anyone got one?
    Thanks

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: gas research LPG carb and 5S-FE inlet manifold

spatt
    yeah it will work with your 2.2 litre motor
    i ran one on a 100kw 4AGE motor - no issues

alot of the LPG setups don't use gas research ; they use a crappy venturi style mixer "ring" which draws the gas out under vacuum into the plenum, a crap setup but, meh, they work.

go to the local steel mechant, pickup a pump of 10mm alloy, get that TIG'd to your inlet manifold then holesaw out a hole same dia as the GRA carb into the inlet manifold. drill and tap posts for it to bolt to and you're away.

remember to mount your convertor (aussie b2) flat. also make sure that the springs in the convertor have been upgraded by GRA.

once all done you'll have to take the car and get it tuned by someone who deals with GRA to setup the restrictors in the progression hose and the choke size.

anyways good luck man.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

So the 440cfm is not to big?not quite sure if you meant that size is OK. or if a gas research carb will work??.
    I have the B2 set up with the GRA spring, no problem there, I've used their systems twice before on Rover V8s, They went better on gas than they ever did on petrol.
    Back to the size carb, GRA said a 275,or 330 would be better for torque, Don't really want to get into spending $180+ to size down the venturi.What sort of difference will 440cfm make??

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

From playing with GRA carbs before, I'd suggest a smaller one will make it much easier to get going properly. By all means, try the 440 first, but if you're having trouble trying to tune the thing, then you'll likely need to change the bits.

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

True.

But I have a 440 on mine, and I only run a 2 litre. ( yeah yeah, I know 20psi has something to do with it..)
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...