Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA28 KMAC camber tops

livin on the edge as a Grease Monkey Snyper's Avatar

Default RA28 KMAC camber tops

just installed these into my RA28, kmac camber tops on corona struts with kyb shocks and king springs, now is there any specific way the camber top has to be aligned when bolting it in for the first time? I notice the camber top isn't "flat" it's on a bit of a lean as such....
    I have also set them up so they look like they're in the middle of the tower until I get them setup properly.
    does anyone have some good settings for camber and castor?? I live in the hills and plan on doing the odd track day too, so something aggressive but still streetable....

Brendon
    Daily - Prado 90series
    Work - T908 620hp Cummins ISX
    Shed - 1975 TA22 2TG

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 KMAC camber tops

Snyper,

My suggestion would be to put the camber tops on and have them set at their minimum setting, until you can arrange a proper alignment...

I remember a mate saying, on an old car of his, he ran 2 degrees neg camber, which was quite good on the road... (But I may me way off with this info)

The perfect person to ask would be TurboRA28, and ask him what he runs on his...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

yeah the buy I bought them off said something around 2deg neg and a bit of castor, but yeah, they're in the middle now.... going to put in my bigger front sway bar while I've got it up and on jacks....
    Daily - Prado 90series
    Shed - 1975 TA22 2TG

Keep me informed on how it drives, because this is the exact same suspension setup that I plan on running... (KYB, King Springs, Whiteline Front and Rear Swaybars)
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

well as for the KYB and King springs, I would never have anything else
    Daily - Prado 90series
    Shed - 1975 TA22 2TG

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Brendon,

I have 1.5 degrees negative camber but not sure of castor on my road Celica.

You may find that 2 degrees maybe the limit as the inner edge of the adjustment plate starts to foul with the inside of the tower. I had to bend it slightly on the pass side to get the same 1.5 value.

My current tyres are really old and hard, so slide before they role over, so 1.5-2 negative is good for me.

If you plan on using softer/stickier tyres then it may need to run 2-2.5 negative. I ran this on my circuit car using Bridgestone 610S tyres and perhaps needed more as they were rolling over a bit too much. However anymore starts to effect straightline braking on the road.

Castor.

Get as much as you can from the existing radius rods and then cut the front lower corner out of the guards to clear the tyres. If the steering becomes too heavy then back off the castor a degree or two. Make it match as opposed to what a standard RHD car is set for on our cambered road conditions.

Regards

Rodger

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

If you are running out at Mallala on stickies then you will find that the car will respond nicely to a LOT of neg camber. Mine is about optimum near 4 deg neg.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

This came out of TurboRA28's members ride thread, he wasn't happy with 1.5 degrees negative and has since added more, but I couldn't find how much more!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRA28
    There was some noticable understeer around corner entry/mid corner. I was only running 1.5 deg negative camber so next time I might try some more. Also the rear springs might be a tad soft and too much weight transfer to the rear. But this probably helps with grip when putting the power down out of the corners.
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Yeah I find 1.5 isn't enough on the track.. Struggling to get anymore though without changing the control arms.
    I'm going to chuck the xt130 arms on which might give another .5 deg or so.. But really i'd like 3 or so on there for track days.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

G'day guys,

i havent had mine alligned yet (t3 strut tops) but i am curious as to how much camber you can get without coilovers (i did coilovers at the same time).

are your kingsprings a standard set up (lowered, but still normal diameter)? when i looked at mine, i didnt think there would be much adjustment available before the spring hit the inside of the tower.

is anyone here running strut tops with standard style springs or has in the past? - just curious what is possible.

cheers
    Stew

I can't comment on the Celica's as i'm same as you, have coilovers so the strut top becomes the limiting factor not the spring..

But our AE86 has around 3 deg negative camber with Cusco tops & standard (non coilover adjustable springs). The limiting factor here is the spring hitting the inside of the body.
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Stew; Joel,

What coilovers are you guys running?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Max in the AE86 with offset RCAs and 65mm coilovers is somewhere near -7 or -8*....
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I'm unsure what I got.. Ended up with some second hand sleeves that had come over on a car from japan and were cut off the struts.

Much the same to the Koni ones or Noltec etc.. Just a weld on sleeve.

Hey Takai what is your opinion on offset RCAs? Any concerns about the loading on the balljoint being offset? I haven't given it much thought, but is there a change in scrub radius also with these?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

There is a reasonable change in scrub radius with them, but nothing that wasnt fixed by a hammer. I cant see the increase in loading on the balljoint being overly large, and i can live with it for the number of km it does every year. I think ive just managed to hit 250km this year.

EDIT: Thought i should clarify. With the offset RCAs, i probably wouldnt run them on a dedicated road car. My main reason for running them is to comply with rules, we have to retain a stock LCA, and i want more track and camber so this is an ideal option, especially considering the low KM and high maintainance of the car.
    For the road car im putting in XT130 LCAs for now, and if they dont give enough neg i might go to MX32 LCAs, simply because its far far easier, and also a non-offset RCA attracts less attention from Mr Plod than a blinging offset RCA.
    Last edited by takai; 16-10-2006 at 04:18 PM.