Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vp 3800 V6 into hilux - how to

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Re: Vp 3800 V6 into hilux - how to

does anyone know if the balljoints on the relay arm are replaceable on the lux???

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

no worries blake.

finally got some time to work on the thing this weekend - now have some extravagant looking engine mounts, mounted fuel filter and in the process of lightly bumping the brake lines - mustve been so rusted one of them snapped in two! oh well better whilst its sitting in the yard than if im driving i guess....

transmission mount is half made - looks like a piece of piss thank god!

biggest job now is wiring, which i officially suck at!

get some pics soon i promise

blake

picsorban
    if you need a hand with the wiring let me know. i drive one of the bloody things so can buzz shit out for you ect if need be

thanks dude, will let u know

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I've done one of these conversions ... works very well on the whole Mine is a VS engine and TH700, also into a (2WD) YN57. I had a head start though - the ute was factory auto so the console and shifter were in place already. (Although the TH700 shifter is on the left side of the box, while the Toyota shifter was on the right which brought its own issues).

As it was my first conversion, I cheated and bought some of the bits from Pat Gardiner in Moree to speed up the process. Although in my ute, things didn't fit quite the way he said they would - like the bonnet won't shut with the engine cover on (I actually had to massage the bonnet bracing to even get the 10mm clearance I wanted over the naked plenum).

I welded some pretty simple mounting brackets to the chassis and used the standard commodore rubber mounts. The mount under the A/C compressor had to be shifted forward to clear the relay arm, but that was achieved using an offset bracket made from some 5mm plate with bolts welded into one end.

I'm running the standard hilux radiator with a Davies Craig thermofan. It was meant to be temporary, but it only ever got a bit warm once after a haul up the Moonbi ranges (NSW) towing a car trailer full of workshop hoist and steel shelving (plus the ute tray full of more shelving!!) If it ever gives up, I might try one of these Excel x2 radiators mentioned in these forums, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

I did the job before I had a digicam, but I should have some prints somewhere that I could scan and post if anyone wants / needs to see any details of how bits went together. Like the offset bracket is easier to show than to describe
    '93 MX83 Cressy with 1JZGTE (now with engineered goodness)
    '85 YN57 Hilux SR5 with 3.8l V6
    '98 ES300 (with gold bits!!)
    + A Corolla and some non-Toyotas

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

this thread is no good without pics >!!1

will edit post when it gets adorned with V6ness
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

for some reason i cant see the last 2 replies...

i dont have a program to downsize my pics can some computer nerd come round and set up a webpage for me. i have cable and beer

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

blake - email me the pics and i'll put them on imageshack for you.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Quote Originally Posted by BabyZ
    I've done one of these conversions ... works very well on the whole Mine is a VS engine and TH700, also into a (2WD) YN57. I had a head start though - the ute was factory auto so the console and shifter were in place already. (Although the TH700 shifter is on the left side of the box, while the Toyota shifter was on the right which brought its own issues).

As it was my first conversion, I cheated and bought some of the bits from Pat Gardiner in Moree to speed up the process. Although in my ute, things didn't fit quite the way he said they would - like the bonnet won't shut with the engine cover on (I actually had to massage the bonnet bracing to even get the 10mm clearance I wanted over the naked plenum).

I welded some pretty simple mounting brackets to the chassis and used the standard commodore rubber mounts. The mount under the A/C compressor had to be shifted forward to clear the relay arm, but that was achieved using an offset bracket made from some 5mm plate with bolts welded into one end.

I'm running the standard hilux radiator with a Davies Craig thermofan. It was meant to be temporary, but it only ever got a bit warm once after a haul up the Moonbi ranges (NSW) towing a car trailer full of workshop hoist and steel shelving (plus the ute tray full of more shelving!!) If it ever gives up, I might try one of these Excel x2 radiators mentioned in these forums, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

I did the job before I had a digicam, but I should have some prints somewhere that I could scan and post if anyone wants / needs to see any details of how bits went together. Like the offset bracket is easier to show than to describe

Hi mate, thanks for your help

I have fitted a VR radiator with a VS narrow bodied fan, they bolt right up together without mods! some trimming of shroud is needed to make fan fit, but with a couple of brackets made and a couple of hours work, it fits easy. If u need a guide let us know....

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    blake - email me the pics and i'll put them on imageshack for you.
    which email address mate? hotmail wont accept 900kb emails....

either that or email em to me and i'll put em up champ

Ok greg im having a couple of issues with the last of the wiring. (this is on the wiring diagrams you showed me)
    The engine fan relay seemingly has two triggers on a 4 pin relay...is this correct? One being from aircon switch to fuse to the 86 pin on the relay, and the other being straight from the ecu to pin 85.
    I just want to know how the wire to 86 works - as the hilux switch wires seemingly go everywhere on the diagram i have, so i dont want to risk putting the wire wrong and cooking the motor.
    or is the trigger from the ecu a safeguard?
    Also, at what point on your guage does the fan cut in thermally? I know VS commodores without the aircon on, went right up to 3/4 of the gauge before kicking the fan in. are vp berlina dash's (with tacho) the same, or does it come on lower?

have a few other minor dramas but i might be able to sort those out myself hopefully.
    cheers dude
    Blake

blake. sorry for the late response
    the fan gets two requests - one is based on signal read from CTS which tells the ECU to turn it on
    the other is from an AC request - when AC is on also is fan by default.

relay R37 is for the fan
    n36 (blue/white) goes to the ECU to switch on fan (pull to ground)
    thus the relay on pin 87 (orange and blue wire) sends +12v down to M7 which is the fan
    other side of fan is black wire (which is ground)

SO in relay terms
    30 has fused +12v
    87 is +12v supply to fan
    86 is switched ignition (via air con fan control believe it or not)
    85 is signal (pull to ground) from ECU

hope this helps mate