Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vp 3800 V6 into hilux - how to

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Vp 3800 V6 into hilux - how to

Hey everyone, thought id give some help to anyone out there attempting this conversion. It involves a VP commodore (1992) 3.8L V6 and the TH700 auto transmission into early model hiluxes. It also includes the installation of a VR radiator and a VS electric fan. Mine is a 1984 YN57 manual.

Reasons for doing this conversion:

Motors are cheap
    Motors have a lot of torque, good for pulling loads.
    Motors are reliable and last a long time.
    Motor fits in without cutting out radiator support, and have plenty of room.
    Motor and gearbox all fit in nicely.
    Motors are easy to get parts for and to fix.

Now i dont have a digicam working atm, so ill do my best to explain as i go. Conversion is not finished yet but ill post things up as i get closer.

What you will need to do this conversion:

Motor with all accs - including AC compressor.
    gearbox
    Ecu, loom
    Vp berlina or calais cluster (these have a tacho)
    the floor shifter and loom that attaches to it
    tailshaft
    engine pipes with cat.
    Be confident/ know someone to make engine and rear gearbox mounts (ill post a pic of my home made ones when completed)

Step 1 - The motor will need to have the sump modified - as it hits would hit the relay arm for the steering (one that connects your two tie rods). if you leave it in the position where it would not hit anything, the box is half in the engine bay and the weight of the motor is too far forward. The neatest way is to buy a spare sump and to cut and shut the two to make one. this way you can make it look factory, its made of the same material and is a lot easier to do.

Step 2 - The engine mounts from dellow are no more than shit with rubber attached. a bit of box steel with a dodgy modified commodore mount. These 1 dont allow for the use of aircon, as the p/s engine mount houses the aircon mount. And also, if all thats holding your motor onto the chassis is two pissy welds on a bit of 2.5mm box steel - how rough is that?!

step 3 - the instrument cluster needs a bit of work to be made fit, but pics will tell a story when i get some - you need to make two little brackets and also need to modify the inner hilux cluster surround.

Step 4 - the VR radiator (new are around $200, and the vs thermo for about $50) fits, all you need to do is make a one piece bottom bracket with two tabs welded on for the radiator mount nipples (these nipples need to be shortened with hacksaw) and two bent top mounts to make it solid. Will get pics soon. This is obviously ample to cool the motor. I personally when installing the aircon will put a 10" fan on a manual switch on the front of the condensor, as i dont think the hilux (mine has a bullbar) will have as much airflow as the Vp did.

Post more as i get closer to having it done.

blake

Post more as i go.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Vp 3800 V6 into hilux - how to

do you need any wiring diagrams?

i have some, but if you have more please email to [email protected]
    thanks mate

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Email sent!

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

No LS1, no care.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

blake. good one
    something to keep in mind - the speedo setup. you'll need to get an passthru adapter for the speedo cable to plug into and still provide signal back to the ecu (VSS)
    if you don't when you come up to a standstill coasting you'll stall and it won't run as well. please bear this in mind as many people get caught out here. my mate did running his VN V6 in is nissan 720.

also think about the power steering pump. folks make up bearing equipped shafts to piss the power steering pump off if you don't use it.

i have a myriad of different bits and pieces and manuals and anything else you could ever want for a V6 so if you need anything let me know, can help mate.

it'll be a good conversion. with the 5 speed in the 720 idling up and down hills and thru bogs was funny. at idle. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Grega
    blake. good one
    something to keep in mind - the speedo setup. you'll need to get an passthru adapter for the speedo cable to plug into and still provide signal back to the ecu (VSS)
    if you don't when you come up to a standstill coasting you'll stall and it won't run as well. please bear this in mind as many people get caught out here. my mate did running his VN V6 in is nissan 720.

also think about the power steering pump. folks make up bearing equipped shafts to piss the power steering pump off if you don't use it.

i have a myriad of different bits and pieces and manuals and anything else you could ever want for a V6 so if you need anything let me know, can help mate.

it'll be a good conversion. with the 5 speed in the 720 idling up and down hills and thru bogs was funny. at idle. LOL
    im using the commodore cluster and turbo 700, so i shouldnt have those problems touch wood!

blake you'll be fine mate
    bear in mind if your diff gearing is not 3.08 the TCC will lockup at strange speeds and the speedo will read wrong. there are convertor/corrector units you can get to fix this though.

yeha ill have to wait and see with litle problems like that id say

am having some issues wiring the dash in - theres wires on the holden dash cluster which are:

"2 pulses" - theres 3 of those
    "10 pulses" - theres 1
    "press rem" - theres 2
    "gnd pulses" - theres one

also on another plug there are two "pk lamp pos" terminals, but on the same plug theres a "pk brake"

Anyone can help me out there?

thanks
    Blake

blake
    sounds like you have a calais cluster/loom
    press rem will be for the security immobilizer
    pk lamp etc will be one for the light in the cluster, the other will be the chime (if you rip the handbrake up when moving the cluster beeps at you)
    gnd pulses and 2/10 pulses sound like speed input

wheres 10 pulses what connector? i can see the gnd and 2 pulses in my calais cluster here on connector 1........

how many connectors do you have on the back of the instrument cluster? 3 or 4?

i'll have a quick read. hang 5

blake
    389 (green wire) goes to cruise control module
    151 (black/white tracer) goes to ground
    39 (pink/black) goes to fuse 9
    25 (black) goes to alternator
    437 (brown/yellow tracer) goes back to pin A10 on the ECU

thats a rundown on instrument connector 3.
    pretty sure the pulses will be to the cruise module from the input from VSS.

let me know if this helps drop me a PM if you need more info.

hey mate, yeah the plug 3 seems to be sorted out. mine was out of a berlina.

May i let people know,. thayt the power steering boxes out of later model luxes (rn85 namely) are not a direct replacement, they need to have modifications made to fit. this is whats holding me up currently, but half my engine mounts are made - a bit of a bonus i guess

thanks for your help greg!

May i let people know,. thayt the power steering boxes out of later model luxes (rn85 namely) are not a direct replacement, they need to have modifications made to fit. this is whats holding me up currently, but half my engine mounts are made - a bit of a bonus i guess

mine has 3 plugs btw

mine has 3 plugs btw