Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to removal of Speed Alarm Bell for AW11 imports (Pic intensive be warned!)

Junior Member Carport Converter JBs's Avatar

Default Guide to removal of Speed Alarm Bell for AW11 imports (Pic intensive be warned!)

Hey guys,
    for the past 2 years I have put up with that annoying frikkin bell that starts going off after 100kmh. So after meeting up with the club I have to give much thanks to TOOF who showed me just how easy it actually is to remove, and to Adsport for the quick advice. So what follows is a quick guide on how to do the removal youreslf with plenty of photos.

Step 1:
    There are a number of little screws that will need removing off your dash to open it up, or in my case which is more likely some dodgy importer has been messing with your dash already and there are only 5 to remove

Step 2:
    First off you want to slightly lift off the top of your dash by lifting up and forwards. Next is removing the front of your dash including lights, and windscreen wiper surround. You do this by slightly pulling it forward and unplugging the light controls and windscreen wiper controls. NOTE: I didn't bother unplugging the door open light, I simply pushed it through the dash and then brought it back out again leaving it connected.

Step 3: Do remove the top of your dash completely! There will still be one wire connecting it, simply move it to the side and let it hang like so:

Taken completely out of context:
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTFL-ACT
    JB's quite funny

Default Re: Guide to removal of Speed Alarm Bell for AW11 imports (Pic intensive be warned!)

Step 4:
    You can either go two ways here:
    1 is: Simply unplugging the various speedo cables, craning down and undoing the wires on the bell.
    2 is: Removing the top metal shield and entire dash cluster which is what I have done. To remove the metal shield, by now it should just be 2 x 10mm nut holding it on. After that is removed you will need to unplug the 3 x plugs on the back of the dash. These simply have press down clips to remove. The same applies for the Speedo cable except the clip is on the side.

Step 5:
    Remove the 4 x screws holding the dash cluster in on the front.

Step 6:
    Is unscrewing the Bell Relay off the back of the Dash Cluster.

Step 7:
    Think of inventive ways to take revenge upon annoying Bell Relay

Step 8:
    Reverse all the steps for the reinstallation of your cluster and dash. I hope this has helped out, I know that the BGB and a few other manuals don't tell you how to do it and the whole ding dong on a 4 hr trip gets really frikkin annoying.
    Enjoy!
    JB's quite funny

Genuine Hotty. Conversion King old_mr2's Avatar

Default Re: Guide to removal of Speed Alarm Bell for AW11 imports (Pic intensive be warned!)

good job mate. nice write up.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I love how-to threads that are not only extremely useful, but clear, concise and with plenty of pics - just like this one, so +rep for you sunshine.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Nice work, good to see more people writing guides these days +rep

Thanks guys, and just as a final note, you can do this with basically a phillips head screw driver, 10mm socket and 45 mins of your time.
    Cheers
    JB's quite funny

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

+ Rep, i just did a 2000km trip from SA with the insanity chime... Actually we found a sweet spot between 108-114km where it ceased its gingle

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Grippy's Avatar

Thats a great writeup, nice pics of everything. Looks like a nice clean AW11 you have there. I wonder why the Aussie delivered cars dont have them, as mine surely hasnt.

I Hate Being A Carport Converter Clown's Avatar

A few jap cars of that age have the damn chime. I went for a cruise in a mates 180sx that had the chime still working and the car stereo dead, it drove us nuts! My chimes been removed but +rep anyway!
    GZE AW11, M40b18 e30, 1J cressida

redridinghood! Domestic Engineer EA99's Avatar

Its weird that I don't have it? and I drive an import? :s

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

maybe someone has already removed it
    i reckon it's cool. takumi spec! /end sarchasm
    i pulled three hundred rocks from the land to build my house
    i walked quiet through the forest like a tiny quiet forest mouse

the oceans will rise
    please stand by the shore

I've recently been toying with the idea of reinstalling the chime with a switch

Anyhow thanks for the comments guys, glad to hear I've helped ease the pain.
    JB's quite funny

redridinghood! Domestic Engineer EA99's Avatar

So I just took it all apart, and just a question, how do you guys get those 10mm bolts off?! I can get the left one, but the one on the right is like impossible to get off! anyways i made do and just wiggled everything out, and what do you know! my chime is there but disconnected looks like the previous owner got as pissed off as you

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

My RT112 has one. Or it did before I drove for a couple of hours with it chiming constantly and the bell quit working completely.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

80's Style'n Backyard Mechanic VA61DETT's Avatar

I used to have one In my MA61, and my Brothers AW11 has one.
    Both were non-import registered, kinda weird...

Did toy with the idea of installing a mod to my car computer,
    so when you pop over 108 it automatically switches the play-list to initial D battle stage music
    Would have been good for a giggle…

I am going to send a link of this to my brother & convince him to pull it out…
    Keep up the good work!

-A