Thread: brake lines

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default brake lines

just put a new diff in the car, it's been converted to discs. the rigid brakes lines are now connected straight to the calipers (no rubber hose involved) is there any reason for me not to do this?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: brake lines

Well given that its a live axle T-series (from your other post) i dont see that the caliper would move around a HUGE amount. The flex in the metal line shoudl take the sliding caliper movement. The only problem will be when you are changing pads, that will become annoying due to the line not having much movement. The AE86 disc diffs have a rubber section before the caliper for that exact reason, makes changing pads heaps easier, and you dont have to undo the line to change the pads.
    If you dont mind having to undo the line and bleed your brakes every time you change pads then just leave it be.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Oh dear... There's a reason they have to have a flexible section in there by law, and my advice would be to just do the job properly even if you can't work out why.

I didnt think that they needed to have a flexible section by law. Although it woudl make sense, having a solid tube under constant flexion pressure would destroy it fairly quickly.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

As some folks have discovered when they leave a tightly strung steel fuel line to their engine

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    just put a new diff in the car, it's been converted to discs. the rigid brakes lines are now connected straight to the calipers (no rubber hose involved) is there any reason for me not to do this?
    If you do continue with this (for example off road use only) make sure that the lines cannot vibrate at all because they will fracture eventually (speaking from experience). Even a simple cable tie setup will be be enough to stop it.

Personally I don't know the rules and regs around flexible lines but ring up your local RTA and ask them to be certain.

Cheers,
    Dave

well it is gonna be used on the road mainly, so doing it legally is the biggest thing, apart from not allowing for movement though, it certainly does get a lot more feel!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I see using purely steel lines as a quite dangerous safety issue! (When coupled with a sliding caliper).

I was pretty sure that live axel T series had single piston sliding calipers...if you've changed the calipers to opposed 2 or 4 spots then I don't see a danger personally. However if your using a 1 or 2 spot sliding caliper then I think your crazy.

The movement of the caliper as the pads wear will extend the ridged metal line, this aint good to it and will lead to a stress fracture crack over time I would imagine. I'm not a big fan of holes in my brake lines, but that may just be me

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

I agree, I can see the lines fatiguing relatively quickly with a floating caliper. Using a floating piston like wilbo suggested would be ok (as the drums do not require a flexible line) but this would require finding and mounting one.
    I don't think feel would be affected too much by a small section of flex but if you are really worried use some braided line.

For reference, on my sprinter (which has a fairly mental braking system) i upgraded from the perishing rubber lines to bling bling braided lines, and noticed absolutely no difference. None at all, diddlly squat, nothing. The only difference i noticed was that i didnt have to top up my brake fluid every couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    For reference, on my sprinter (which has a fairly mental braking system) i upgraded from the perishing rubber lines to bling bling braided lines, and noticed absolutely no difference. None at all, diddlly squat, nothing. The only difference i noticed was that i didnt have to top up my brake fluid every couple of days.

...which suggests your old lines might have been in slightly less than ideal condition

Of course, the old lines were bollocks, infact a lot of the old car was bollocks. I replaced the lines when i was still using it as a daily while i was putting the finishing touches on my GZE.

The point was more that the braided lines added diddly squat feeling.