Thread: KE70 Windscreen - Alternatives to Chrome Trim

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Question KE70 Windscreen - Alternatives to Chrome Trim

Looking at replacing the chrome trim around the windscreen on my ute with a more modern looking rubber seal as many other cars run. Have looked at the trim off both a Daihatsu Charade and a Holden Commodore, both of which looked pretty much the same and suitable for the job.
    Just curious if anyone else has done this or if anyone has recommendations on a particular rubber to use? Windscreen is already out (to fix a little rust) and will be professionally refitted but would like some other opinions/options before I talk to the glazier.

Callum

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: KE70 Windscreen - Alternatives to Chrome Trim

ring a windscreen place and enquire?
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

A friend of mine recently restored an A series Valiant, and when replacing the windscreen seals, couldn't get hold of the original crome centre strip that forces the rubber to stay in place, and could only buy black. Is this the part you are after? It is forced into a gully in the rubber seal.

If it is and what he told me is true, you will only be able to buy black anyway.

The chrome trim I'm talking about is the at the bottom of the screen in this photo, normally clips on around the whole screen. On the KE70's the rubber is like a lot of modern cars where the screen actually sits on top of the seal. a smaller rubber (have been told its called a J rubber?) then runs around the screen to fill the gap between the screen and the body, like the gap you can see along the top of the screen in that pic.
    Really want to know if someone has tried this before I talk to a glazier, pays to be a little informed when dealing with so called experts.

Callum

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

I see, the system I was thinking of is different, and the same as ke55 corollas. Maybe you could get your trims powder-coated??

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

its not a seal they sit onto, its a sealant, but meh.
    its that sealant that stops your screen leaking, not the chrome trim so just get watever you want and make it fit

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    its not a seal they sit onto, its a sealant, but meh.
    its that sealant that stops your screen leaking, not the chrome trim so just get watever you want and make it fit
    Yes the seal (or sealant) stops the water getting into the car, but it doesn't stop water sitting around the screen. Which is why the screen is out getting rust fixed, so I am looking for a rubber that will stop water sitting there and rusting it again.

Callum

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

its all the leaves and shit that build up behind the chrome seal that make it rust, not the water, water drains away, putting a rubber seal all around might actually make the water build up behind there