Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiseco pistons for 2tgte

Default wiseco pistons for 2tgte

hey guys
    im in the market for forged pistons for my 2tgte and the only forgies wiseco stocks for the 3tc are 7.4:1 - 7.7:1 comp ratio which is a bit of a bitch seeing as im wanting 8.5s.
    everyone knows that when u make a hybrid 3tg (3tc+2tg) using stock 3tc pistons etc you get a rise in comp to around 10.5:1 yeah.

well my Q is if i was to use these wiseco pistons @ 7.4 - 7.7:1 along with my 88261 2tgeu head will it bring my comp back closer to 8.5:1 when using the 3tgte crank?

also what is everyones thoughts on mainstud and headstud kits for the 3tgte over new oem bolts? are they needed or do the new oem's do the trick. the goal is 180rwkw reliably so id rather spend more to get the better fatseners then have new oem bolts die on me n my engine go kaboom.

cheers for any help guys
    craig
    Te71 Corolla Levin, Blacktop 20v
    Te71 Corolla Levin ex Rally Car 2tg.
    Te71 Corolla Hardtop 2dr Sedan, 2tg/3t waiting
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Ae86 Corolla sprinter 4ac
    Corolla Feind

Can I Fondle Your Grease Monkey

Default Re: wiseco pistons for 2tgte

This place sells 8.5:1 3TG forgies: http://www.paradiseracing.com/pistons.htm

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

im with peedman - get 3tgte pistons and bore the block if you need to, to accomodate for them.

Im sure yellowrolla on here can testify - i *think* he has wiseco's and makes about 200rwkw on his 3tgte

i would have thought that the 3tc/ 3tgte would take the same piston hence no actual listing for 3tgte. and then would also be able to be used in 2tgte. and that paradise racing has no listing for 88/88.5. i dont think i want to go 89mm with the turbo motor due to reliability issues with the water jackets. ive been told for n/a thats fine but with the cylinder pressures of turbo they would be weak.
    anyways cheers for the quick replies guys keep em comin
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Corolla Feind

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cooter
    i would have thought that the 3tc/ 3tgte would take the same piston hence no actual listing for 3tgte. and then would also be able to be used in 2tgte. and that paradise racing has no listing for 88/88.5. i dont think i want to go 89mm with the turbo motor due to reliability issues with the water jackets. ive been told for n/a thats fine but with the cylinder pressures of turbo they would be weak.
    anyways cheers for the quick replies guys keep em comin

no mate, i dont agree with what they have said, theres plenty of bored motors out there running big boost and power - if you look at half a mm, it is fuck all really - 7mgtes run a huge bore/ stroke for the motor, and dont mind having a bore 30tho which is .75mm.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

mate do you understand the engine codes?
    the 2T-G and 3T-G engines use different pistons
    you will need to find some 2TG pistons not 3TG casue the comp height is different and the T-C and T-G pistons dont swap cause of the difference valve releifs

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue
    you will need to find some 2TG pistons not 3TG casue the comp height is different and the T-C and T-G pistons dont swap cause of the difference valve releifs
    Totaly agree with you merc-blue.

The 3t pistons have a very big differance in pin to deck height than the 2t pistons regardless of the valve cutouts. The reason people use cutout 3t piston in the hybrid engine is that a 2t piston would hit the head when its bolted onto a 3t crank. I can see your point that putting a 3t piston with a 2t crack will drop the compression but I've never heard of it done.

I would like to know the results if you get it running.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

well my Q is if i was to use these wiseco pistons @ 7.4 - 7.7:1 along with my 88261 2tgeu head will it bring my comp back closer to 8.5:1 when using the 3tgte crank?
    I have not cc'd a 261 head so I cannot say.
    Except he is planning on using the 3T crank not the 2T.
    You should also use the 3T GTE conrods - Eagle make some nice rods for them)

The 87mm Wisecos are suitable in the 3T GTE and the 2T/3T GTE (IE 2TG head on 3T GTE)
    because the valve reliefs are oversize. I don't run them in my engine (I use 86mm SPS), but I have built some engines with them.

There is no way that I would bore a boosted 3T to 89mm - that represents a 4mm over bore.

HTH
    Jase
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    There is no way that I would bore a boosted 3T to 89mm - that represents a 4mm over bore.
    LOL that would leave about 1-2mm from the piston to water jackets

a good enough hit and the piston would probably go through the wall and have water flood your engine

cheers

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

im also in the process of building a highish power 3tgte, im using 87mm arias forgies from paradise racing. why is 87mm too big for your application?? i dont exactly know much about building engines but i cant see a reason why 87mm's wont work.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

87mm are good - in my experience.
    lilcrash - are they flat tops, and are paradise OK with sending to aus?

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Robbo'sToyota's,

Dude I know your trying to help but wrong information is worse than no information.

Cooter,

There tends to be allot of confusion out there when people talk about Hybrid T series engines. In all reality they are pretty straight forward tho.

All you are building is a 3T-GTE with a 2TG head really The 3T-C and 3T-GTE pistons will have the same pin height as they use the same size crank. As such yes you could use 3T-C pistons but they will need valve reliefs cut into them and yes the compression wil be different to whats advertised due to the difference in combustion chamber size. It will most likely be to high for your application, unless they were designed for Turbo use.
    Basically before you spend some resonable money make sure your getting what you need and if in doubt order them form someone who actually knows what you need.

As for piston bore, the 2T and 3T range all have an 85mm bore. I personally run a 2mm overbore and expect no problems. the most common for Turbo applications is an 86mm bore hence leaving as much meat as possible in the block for strength. You don't want any bigger than an 87mm bore in my opinion for a Turbo application. My current engine has 87mm bore flat tops from SPS. The next engine will have the 87mm Ceramic coated wiscos.

The 89mm bores mentioned are for N/A use only and even then not recommended. Not all blocks can take an 89mm bore without hitting the water jackets and most 89mm bore engine have been sleeved to acheive that extra half a mm.

HTH's
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

yes yellow rolla you r right and thanks for the info on the piston size. with those oversize valve reliefs that means they wouldnt need to be machined for my application at all yeah?

sorry i should have clarified things a lil better
    setup
    88261 2tg head, stock cams
    3tgte crank, rods etc
    some sort of forged piston @ what loooks like itll be 87mm.

so for those that are missing it my original question was...
    when you use 7.7:1 comp pistons as advertised in a 3tgte itll stay 7.7:1 comp ratio. i want to know will i get a rise in comp from 7.7:1 to closer to 8.5:1 if i use said pistons with a 2tg head.

anyone got any thoughts on the studs portion of my original post?
    thanks for your input ppl.
    craig
    Last edited by cooter; 26-09-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Corolla Feind

anyone got any thoughts on the studs portion of my original post?
    I use head studs, Toyman uses head studs, Merc blue hopefully has head studs now.
    I recommend them and I have some for sale.

PM me if you want further details.

Tell me the cc of the cylinder head and what gasket you intend to use (ie 1.0mm thick) and I will tell you what the comp will be. BTW 7.8:1 isn't too bad with the stock 3T GTE cams BUT I cannot comment on how it will be with the 261 cams.

jase

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

cooter,
    I highly recommend you take the time to carefully measure your head and do some calculations. This may help on some background information in case you arent already aware of it....
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2038
    I have a 261 head on my hybrid, it measured in at ~63.3cc using a burette and some perspex. Its not too difficult, but does take some care and patience. I cant guarantee mine is completely accurate, but it sounds about right, and seemed to work in my calcs. HOWEVER I do suspect the head may have been shaved by the previous owner....

Having said that, if you work out everything properly, it will save you spending a lot of money on pistons that dont give you what you are after in the first place! Good luck with it... (and listen to YelloRolla and Rod they're pretty cluey about these engines )
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica