Thread: running in my new engine

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic hypo23's Avatar

Talking running in my new engine

need some opinions on how to run the new engine in ive heard alot of stories, but wat really does work?

the tune thats currently on the microtech atm is no good on high boost, or top end power, but it drives around ok well it did before, though it was running fairly rich down low, with the big injectors, withe the smaller injectors and a standard 8 too 10psi of boost will it be ok?

i guess wat im trying to do is avoid getting two tunes, one to actually run the motor in and another for outright performance once its run in, wat are peoples thoughts, on this, and there sequence to actually running the motor in?

i also want too bring the car down to toyfest next weekend, will it be ok to drive down or float it down till it gets tuned properly?

ive never had a brand new engine before so i got no idea, like i said ive heard a lot of hear say but wat would really be recommended?
    cheers steve,

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case..................coincidence?

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: running in my new engine

youll need two tunes, your tune is as important as the hardware you put in so dont go all cheap on the tunning.
    if its a new bore n rings you dont want it to be too rich you dont want to wash the bores (glaze them up (make them all shinney)).
    load the engine up drive up steep hills in 4th/3rd make the engine work, ounce youve done a few k's 50-100 start moven higher into the rev range but dont ever stay at a constant rpm specialy high rpm. i only do about 500ks if that but alota people do 1500-3000ks a run in motor will last longer and perform better than one that hasnt been run in.
    just drive it like the oil n water temp is cold as and load the engine up.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic hypo23's Avatar

wat about running in on the dyno recommended or not? as ive heard this being done alot

i guess its going to be a trailer queen next weekend
    cheers steve,

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case..................coincidence?

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

get it tuned then trash the guts out of it simple

i personally run my enignes on the rich side better rich then lean
    once shes tuned warm her up and drive her around to warm the fuilds then trash her threw all the gears stop let it cool down and your done

most people will tell you to take it easy for 5000ks so on thats bull i've seen engines worth more then houses run in and all they did was trash it like they stole it
    Last edited by sam-131; 21-09-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

you can either take it easy.. or try the motoman method (for simplicity of not typing )

as said in many places, new cars are thrashed for a short time on a dyno like thing to quickly bed the rings in.

running rich will be bad during running in.

perhaps ask the tuner as well, if they have any opinion on running in on the dyno
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam-131
    get it tuned then trash the guts out of it simple

i personally run my enignes on the rich side better rich then lean
    once shes tuned warm her up and drive her around to warm the fuilds then trash her threw all the gears stop let it cool down and your done

most people will tell you to take it easy for 5000ks so on thats bull i've seen engines worth more then houses run in and all they did was trash it like they stole it

Thats pretty much what we used to do at a place I worked at many years ago.

Give it a good caning but also loaded it up in 4th or 5th at lowish revs as well.
    Never had a problem with that method at all.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

Isn't it bad to over rev a new engine though? But i agree with everyone saying to load it up. If you go to easy it isn't good for it. just pick a long hill and hold it on WOT then let the revs drop and do it again. also run it in for around a 1000K's
    -Calvin

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    Isn't it bad to over rev a new engine though? But i agree with everyone saying to load it up. If you go to easy it isn't good for it. just pick a long hill and hold it on WOT then let the revs drop and do it again. also run it in for around a 1000K's
    -Calvin

Not really over rev just rev it.

Just remembered a story that Dad told me a while ago.
    When he was an apprentice and 240z's etc where new he would get a train to Sydney and drive the cars back for delivery to customers in Newcastle. As a few of the guys would go down in one trip they would give the cars a good workout on the way back.

never hurt the engines tyhen with oil usage or broken bits then and sure as hell doesn't hurt a motor now.

But really each to their own on this subject as evryone will have a different opinion.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.