Thread: KE 30 20v fuel delivery and return

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default KE 30 20v fuel delivery and return

Hello,

I am looking for some ideas regarding fitting a VL commodore EFI fuel pump and new delivery and return lines in a KE30 / 20v conversion.

I have read posts suggesting i use 5/16" delivery line etc.

The current delivery line has only about a 5mm ID into the tank. Seems too small for the suction line to the pump.

Q1 Should i remove the tank and run a complete new larger suction line to the pump?

Q2 Where is a good place to mount the pump - in the boot space or under the car?

Q3 If i use the current delivery line as a fuel return can this be left stock with return fuel entering the tank via the original suction line?

Q4 should the suction line come out the top of the tank as the exixting one does or should it come from lower down or out the bottom of the tank.

Finally,
    Q5 do these pumps need to be mounted using the old rubber buffers or can they be mounted solidly the the vehicle - ie vibration problem?

Your ideas on the best methods here would be great.

cheers peter

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: KE 30 20v fuel delivery and return

Q1. 5mm should be alright, so long as its metal, if any is rubber it will need to be replaced with efi graded hose, most std efi metal lines that run under the car wouldnt be much, if any bigger.

Q2, mount it in the tank if you can, under the car if you can find somewhere where its out of the way and wont be hit by a speedbump etc, the boot would also be fine. personal choice on that one. in line under the car would be easiest if you cannot mount it in the tank as you dont have to run lines into the boot and back out again.

Q4. youll find the "suction" or feed line would enter the top of the tank and extend down into the bottom of the tank. use the standard feed line from tank. the return will drop off in the top of the tank somewhere so will not work as a feed.

Q5. id use a rubber mount weather its a problem or not, unless you want to sound like an aeroplane taking off all the time
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Make a surge tank, feed the VL pump from that.
    Use a lift pump to feed the surge tank, and use original feed line to feed the lift pump.
    Make return line from the engine go the surge tank, and a return line from surge tank to original tank. This will help sort out fuel pipe size mismatchs.
    Mounting the whole lot under the car is a good idea - like BeRad has said though, this is personal choice.

Have fun.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Many thanks guys,

One more question. Is the old vapour line and collector pot still required and if so where do you recommend i connect the vaccum line to a 20v running only ram tubes and no airbox.

cheers peter

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

just make it look like its still connected so it will pass mod plate and inspection by the police.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vtrfirestorm
    Q3 If i use the current delivery line as a fuel return can this be left stock with return fuel entering the tank via the original suction line?

Q4 should the suction line come out the top of the tank as the exixting one does or should it come from lower down or out the bottom of the tank.

Finally,
    Q5 do these pumps need to be mounted using the old rubber buffers or can they be mounted solidly the the vehicle - ie vibration problem?
    as above comments from other people...
    fitting new lines is not so hard. a pipe bender and 8mm steel lines bent up will make things easier at both ends.

better to have any lines entering the tank form the top.. that way, if there are any leaks, it will be only vapour... not a slow fuel leak (making much more vapour once it is outside the tank)... i would run both the suction and return line to bottom of tank.. OR, point the return line at the wall of the tank, so that it doesn't splash around falling from top to bottom.

a couple of rubber grommets would be good.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

dirty little Grease Monkey Cam-Rush's Avatar

Im using a VL pump on my KE35, i got an L shaped fitting from an unnamed hose fittings shop that had the same thread as the drain plug for the tank so it could the pump could feed from the bottom of the tank, and i used the original return line into the top of the tank, i used a rubber efi delivery line mounted under the car along the old line route.
    I have heard that a VL pump may have trouble lifting the fuel upwards from the tank, so if you used the original line, you would prob need a lift pump, and maybe a surge tank.

I did it this way because i wouldnt need a surge tank and lift pump, and it was the way that required the least modifying of parts.
    I mounted my pump next to the outlet inside the boot, with an aluminium bracket with rubber washers, and a rubber sleeve over the pump.

this set up works fine, round courners, over bumps, with low fuel, everything...pretty loud though...
    Signatures must be no more than 5 lines of text at 1024x768. Advertising is not allowed in signatures.

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

I have heard that a VL pump may have trouble lifting the fuel upwards from the tank
    You don't necessarily need to draw from the bottom of the tank to do this though - if the pump is mounted below the height of the tank, then the pump can be siphon fed.

My old 18RGE HiLux was done this way - the VL pump had no problems drawing the fuel.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Hi guys,

What i ahve done is this. I purchased a VL pump and had planned to fit it along the lines recommended.

I was then told late model Corolla EFI fuel pumps can be purchased new for around $150. One type of these is 38mm diameter and approx 100mm high which will fit into the tank hole which is 45mm diameter.

So i have braised a new 5/16" steel line into the KE35 fuel tank cap plate and fitted the EFI pump directly the end of this and used the old fuel line as a support for the pump.

Looks, fits and assembles perfectly and should be much quieter than the VL unit- one problem remains.

With an in tank fitment how have you guys run the wires out of the tank and what type of lead wire do you use to be fuel resistant.

Let me know if you want photos of the assembly.

cheers peter