Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: late 97 on hilux 3rz turbo conversion walk through

3RZFE-T Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: late 97 on hilux 3rz turbo conversion walk through

WilloIsMe - I may be getting a different and better manifold made so i guess you could have mine for a 6pack of crona's. Reason i may need to change is i will be running a wastegate and after chatting to my tuner/builder it seems the manifold may not work with a wastegate . Its only a log type manifold nothing flash.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

shit yer tweak that sounds awesome! where bouts r you at? and do u have a foto of it?

Just a quick question. I'm currently in the dilemma of deciding to either supercharge or turbocharge my 3rz. Its in a 93 4runner, and only part I have so far is a log-style turbo manifold with T3 flange, its one of those that some bloke from the usa was selling on eBay.

As far as ecu goes, I've already got a Haltech Interceptor up and running as I'm running a Gas Research dual fuel system. Since its a 4wd I'm after whatever delivers the power the best for offroading. From what you've said BeRad, a turbo would be fine for offroading? Only reason I was thinking of going the supercharged route is I can get my hands on a SC14 for next to nothing, and in all honesty I'm probably only looking at running 4-5psi max, just for a bit of extra low down grunt.

As for injectors, since I'm running an interceptor, bigger injectors may be a pain in the butt, however how would an extra injector cope? This could be plumbed into the rear of the Gas Reasearch carby so the fuel would be dispersed evenly through the inlet runners.

anyway, if this is completely off topic let me know and I'll start another thread, but thought it could be good to have a "boosted 3rz" style thread happening

this wasn't really a quick question was it... oops!!!

heres the pic. Just waiting on the final quote but it looks like its gonna be ditched.
    I like just out of brisbane in ipswich

i live on the sunnycoast but im stayin in bris atm and goin to tafe in logan, so thats pretty handy, i will have to come 4 a drive and pick it up. awesome! 0418708542 give me a text n i will call you cheers
    Last edited by WilloIsMe; 16-09-2009 at 06:00 AM.

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

A 5TH injector shouldn't be used to compensate so much the stock injectors are at `100% cycle at 5psi, isn't the interceptor a fully programmable ecu? but instead of wiring it it's plug and play?.

A turbo is fine for 4x4's a sc14 would be working pretty hard, they came off a 2.0? the 3rz is a 2.7 with hi comp, the load againest the motor up hills and the gearing gets the turbo spinning so that it is as responsive as you'd ever need, if you have something spinning 10-15psi almost instantly it won't be helping in the traction side of things imo.

an equivelant to a gt30r, would be good, the first turbo i put on was a r33 turbo, and it was way to small, at cruise in 4th gear doing 70 it was close to making positive pressure, the one that i was happy with and is now on a mates 4x4 3rz was a air research t04. the 3rz pumps out alot of air so it doesn't take long to spin something up thats a little bigger while you still have some fuel economy and extra heat for no good reason.

The torque alone from the aftermarket ecu will aid in spooling also, = advanced ignition off boost.

All in all supercharging it is going to be cheaper and easier besides mounting it, but then your stuck with it, turbo's can be upgraded etc etc with ease compared to a sc14, the next step up will be expensive and need new mounts etc.

Thats my opinion anyway
    Last edited by BeRad; 20-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    A 5TH injector shouldn't be used to compensate so much the stock injectors are at `100% cycle at 5psi, isn't the interceptor a fully programmable ecu? but instead of wiring it it's plug and play?.
    No, the Haltech Interceptor is a piggyback ecu, so not sure how they handle injector upgrades. I will speak to my tuner next time I'm there and see what he says. Also, the stock injectors being at 100% cycle at 5psi, is this running standard fuel pressure? Or could the pressure be raised to ensure safe operation at 5psi?

an equivelant to a gt30r, would be good, the first turbo i put on was a r33 turbo, and it was way to small, at cruise in 4th gear doing 70 it was close to making positive pressure, the one that i was happy with and is now on a mates 4x4 3rz was a air research t04. the 3rz pumps out alot of air so it doesn't take long to spin something up thats a little bigger while you still have some fuel economy and extra heat for no good reason.
    With the T04, how is the engine's low rev response affected? Can he crawl along in 1st gear at say 1000rpm? Or does the turbo cause a loss of torque at those sort of revs?
    Just to show my lack of knowledge on turbo's, are the air research t04's standard size, or do they come in a range of different compressor and turbine sizes? What size is your mate running?

From all teh reading I've been doing, I think I'm leaning towards the turbo route, just have to get all my info right before buying any more parts

Cheers mate

wat are some recommendations for the fuel side of things and injectors? i know i will need to replace the fuel pump, i read sumthin somewhere bout usin the stocko pump to a surge tank then using a better pump from there?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I will be using cleaned/flowed S4 RX7 550cc injectors in mine with a slightly spaced up fuelrail, sourced plugs to suit from a magna at the wreckers.

I have a carter lift pump from the tank to a surge tank then a walbro inline efi pump to the fuel filter. My setup may b a little more then required but I was switching from a diesel fuel setup.

A walbro or bosch intank pump should fit into the standard intank position easy enough Id imagine.
    Gen2 LN130 4Runner

3" SAS trail-gear kits FnR, FnR ARB lockers, dual transfers, 30s longfield axle set, 33" MTZs road, 36" Iroks play, fullbarwork.........etc.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Smaddock, ur on the surf forum arent ya?, If u end up goin for a turbo and just want a basic turbo Im thinking of selling a brandnew KKR430, I was planning to use it with my 3RZ conversion but am looking to get something a little bigger as my power plans hav changed. If ur interested or want sum more info shoot me a PM.
    Gen2 LN130 4Runner

3" SAS trail-gear kits FnR, FnR ARB lockers, dual transfers, 30s longfield axle set, 33" MTZs road, 36" Iroks play, fullbarwork.........etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rz_runner View Post
    No, the Haltech Interceptor is a piggyback ecu, so not sure how they handle injector upgrades. I will speak to my tuner next time I'm there and see what he says. Also, the stock injectors being at 100% cycle at 5psi, is this running standard fuel pressure? Or could the pressure be raised to ensure safe operation at 5psi?

With the T04, how is the engine's low rev response affected? Can he crawl along in 1st gear at say 1000rpm? Or does the turbo cause a loss of torque at those sort of revs?
    Just to show my lack of knowledge on turbo's, are the air research t04's standard size, or do they come in a range of different compressor and turbine sizes? What size is your mate running?

From all teh reading I've been doing, I think I'm leaning towards the turbo route, just have to get all my info right before buying any more parts

Cheers mate
    If the ecu is pigy back means its still tunable, meaning you can upgrade injectors and tune the ecu to suit, winding the pressure up will help, but won't get you to 10psi.

low rev response with no boost is better than naturally aspirated, not becuase of the turbo but because of the ignition timing you can tune in off boost inturn more ignition advance spools the turbo faster, low range 1st gear you'll barely spool 5psi, but 5psi triples the power and response over standard.
    They come in different sizes from different turbines fr & r different, ussually 3 - 4 different rear covers, changing rear covers helps, if the motor push's lots of air at high rev's etc like the 3rz they'll benefit from a bigger rear housing so you don't choke the motor up higher in the revs.

Whats your budget, finding a 2nd hand gt30r with a .86 rear housing and a .7 front would be perfect, one its ball bearing for response, and 2 its big enough to push 400rwhp if you want it to.
    Last edited by BeRad; 25-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A1 Mech View Post
    I will be using cleaned/flowed S4 RX7 550cc injectors in mine with a slightly spaced up fuelrail, sourced plugs to suit from a magna at the wreckers.

I have a carter lift pump from the tank to a surge tank then a walbro inline efi pump to the fuel filter. My setup may b a little more then required but I was switching from a diesel fuel setup.

A walbro or bosch intank pump should fit into the standard intank position easy enough Id imagine.

rodi, ran rx7 injectors, then upgraded now my m8s 4x4 3rzt runs them, they would be good fro a safe 300rwhp possibly more.

I have a set of 750cc top feed injectors sitting here, but 14mm top feed injectors, which need a new fuel rail, but imo big power needs a new rail or dual feed there skinny inside.

I didn't run a surge tank nor does my m8, i upgraded it to a walbro pump rated at 400fly hp in the tank. for a 4x4 or any car, a surge should be used.

If the ecu is pigy back means its still tunable, meaning you can upgrade injectors and tune the ecu to suit, winding the pressure up will help, but won't get you to 10psi.

low rev response with no boost is better than naturally aspirated, not becuase of the turbo but because of the ignition timing you can tune in off boost inturn more ignition advance spools the turbo faster, low range 1st gear you'll barely spool 5psi, but 5psi triples the power and response over standard.
    They come in different sizes from different turbines fr & r different, ussually 3 - 4 different rear covers, changing rear covers helps, if the motor push's lots of air at high rev's etc like the 3rz they'll benefit from a bigger rear housing so you don't choke the motor up higher in the revs.

Whats your budget, finding a 2nd hand gt30r with a .86 rear housing and a .7 front would be perfect, one its ball bearing for response, and 2 its big enough to push 400rwhp if you want it to.
    Hey, who said anything about running 10psi I only have plans to run 5psi to start with mainly for longevity of the engine, since it is a 4wd, and I don't have any plans for engine internal upgrades.

As I said, I'll ask my tuner and see what he thinks of running bigger injectors with the piggyback, if he says its good to go, I'll probably grab some rx7 ones as they seem to be the go.

As for turbo budget, I'm a tightarse so the cheaper the better, but of course good quality also. If I found a 2nd hand gt30r for the right price I'd grab it in no time!!

Thanks for the info, I'll keep you informed of any progress I make

Cheers!

Hilux is booked in this wednesday to begin its turbo install.
    So thats one goal complet and next down the line is gearbox. I started looking into the swaps but lost interest and divereted my attention to the turbo.
    Whats the best?
    Whats the quick solution
    whats the price
    what bellhousings

r154?

A few quick questions for those who have successfully turboed their 3rz's if you don't mind.

Just looking over more details, and wondering if the oil supply line for the turbo requires a restrictor in the line? A mate turboed his v6 commodore and needed a restrictor to avoid blowing turbo seals.

Also, does anyone have a picture of where the oil supply line is taken from? It was said that it was the oil pressure switch location, but where abouts is this?

Lastly, since I won't be pulling the engine, I'll need to get the oil drainback into the sump with the engine in place. How is this for an idea? Pick a location on the sump, and punch a small hole with a nail punch, then slowly punch the hole bigger and bigger so the metal 'folds' in to form a deeper hole, then tap this hole so a screw in fitting can be used... Do you think this would work? At least it would avoid using a welder on the sump! If this wouldn't work, then what about in the timing case, where the USA 3rz's have their dipstick going into them. Can this be drilled out, or is there something that can simply be removed and the drainback plugged in?

thanks guys!