Thread: ta22, 4age 22 spline T50

Got your ute back Nath Grease Monkey 75Ta22LT's Avatar

Default ta22, 4age 22 spline T50

Hi everyone,

Ive got a ta22 with a 20 spline gbox put behind a 4age,

Now, ive also got a 22 spline gbox that i want behind the engine.

As far as i can see, the slave cylinder is on the wrong side of the gearbox, is it possible to swap sides?

also, i believe the shifter to be about 5cm off the position of the 20 spline (not a prob though)

Has anyone done this conversion or sourced info on it at all?

I was searching for that great article from the old toymods site but it seems to have dissapeared.

Cheers guys.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: ta22, 4age 22 spline T50

To swap sides you will need either the bellhousing off your 20 spline box, or a JDM AE86 bellhousing (i assume to put the slave on the drivers side). Also, you will need a new tailshaft for the 22spline output. Other than that they should be exactly the same
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Hi,
    I'll reply here in case anyone else is looking into this.

The slave cylinder is on the passenger side in the Australian AE series cars (the g'box you have).

If you can find a Jap spec bellhousing from a Sprinter, then it'll have the slave on the drivers side.

I had a line made up for it. It is your only option unless you can find the Jap bellhousing.

Did you put the engine on the slope, or straight up/ Either way you'll be fine. I put mine on the slope.

I stil have the original centre console, but I cut about 4 cm form the part were the shifter sits. I also cut about the same amount from the transmission tunnel (directly below the console).

Anything else, just ask..

Cheers
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 15-09-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Beaten to the punch by Takai

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

You can make up the line easy as pie, just need flaring tools. Either that or go to a brake store and buy the bundy, go home and bend to fit, then go back to the brake store and get them to put fittings on it.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Thanks guys, your rep just went up

We wrecked an aus spec ae86......me being a stooge, probably shouldve grabbed the fluid line out of that for a bit of modification instead of going "its in the way, just cut it".....

Is it possible to punch out and swap the front uni (therefore swapping the 20 spline yolk to the 22 spline yolk) or will i have to get it cut, re-welded and balanced onto my single piece tailshaft? (im not considering the ae86 2 piece tailshaft, id prefer to retain the original)

I also have a hilux differential fitted to the car were getting the engine out of, anyone have an idea of how to identify which lux she came out of? I was thinking if i can determine what shoes it takes (phat ass drums) then that'll narrow it down a bit.

The upper trailing arms on the diff arent connected, (bought it that way and didnt notice till after it was to late) so im thinking they may need a bit of a lop and chop to get them into the correct fitting position.

JUST WANNA GET THE SUCKA DRIVING LOL

Thanks Everyone!

Hi,
    A Hilux diff for a 4AGE is overkill. You will only need your standard diff unless you want to go absolutley spastic with the 4AGE. Even then go a F series or Volvo at most. You'll also want to find some low gears for these.

I've got a RN27 Hilux diff sitting in my driveway. I'm having second thoughts about the diff at the moment (still have the T in it at the moment).

If you have a Sprinter tailshaft, you can get it modified/mated to the standard tailshaft.

I used several coat hangers to make up the slave cylinder line.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie
    A Hilux diff for a 4AGE is overkill. You will only need your standard diff unless you want to go absolutley spastic with the 4AGE.

If you have a Sprinter tailshaft, you can get it modified/mated to the standard tailshaft.

I used several coat hangers to make up the slave cylinder line.

Cheers
    Several coat hangers??!?!? for measurements?

Diff Dr out in fyshwick will modify the tailshaft for around $150.

I wanna put the lux diff in cause the 4age is putting out around 135kw at the fly, and im a firm believer of doing things right the first time. (also, the feeling that you get when you smash a gearbox is still lingering, i dont wanna do in the diff as well).

The bellhousing that i have off the smashed gearbox (the 20 spline) has the slave on the drivers side, will this mate straight up to the 22 spline? if so, as the box has taken ALOT of damage, would there be any damage to the bellhousing?

I'll have a good look when we get the 20 spline off anyway.

sorta looking to get it all done by christmas, money is the main thing holding me back at the moment......well the lack of it anyway.

Hi,
    The coat hanger were bent and taped together to give the lenght and rough bends for the tubing. It's hard to explain it unless you see it.

There is nothing wrong with overkill. What do want ot do with the car driving wise? If you are just going to drive it as a road car then the Hilux diff will be overkill. You need to think about what you are going to do with the car to determine what you want to do with diff.

If you think you will break the gearbox now, then it may be worthwhile putting in a W55, W57, W58 gearbox now. I sure wish I had. If you ever want to turbo the car then it may pay to put one of these gearboxes in now.

Unsure about how you would go adapting the slave cylinder to the other side.

I put the 4AGZE in my car ~2.5 years ago, and it's still not on the road.... Money, Uni, travel, frustraton with unforseen expenses with the conversione etc have all played there part. It should be going in the next 3 weeks though....................

Cheers

Its going to be a weekend/track car, definitely not a daily.

I was considering putting in a W series box, but this presents a whole heap of new problems and costs. Still, im kicking myself, 6 months ago i couldve had a W to 4A series bellhousing for under $400.

Its a bit late now, and a bit to costly to consider this option, thats why i grabbed the 22 spline T50 instead of just using the spare 20 spline i have.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

I wanna put the lux diff in cause the 4age is putting out around 135kw at the fly, and im a firm believer of doing things right the first time. (also, the feeling that you get when you smash a gearbox is still lingering, i dont wanna do in the diff as well).

dude 135kw at the fly does not necisitate a hilux diff. I believe Norbie and others have been running 200+ rwkw through f-series diffs for years without any problems.

The only benefit i can see to the hilux diff is that you might not need to get is shortened where the 1410/1450mm f series diffs will need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kugzs
    dude 135kw at the fly does not necisitate a hilux diff. I believe Norbie and others have been running 200+ rwkw through f-series diffs for years without any problems.

The only benefit i can see to the hilux diff is that you might not need to get is shortened where the 1410/1450mm f series diffs will need to be.
    No, 135kw does not necisitate a lux diff, but the engineers cert requires a brake upgrade and those drums are a definite improvement over the standard units.

Also, the fact that the diff was part of the driveline behind the engine im swapping, makes it alot easier.

Hi,
    The F series diffs can be fitted without shortening, but you will have to look at FWD offset/neutral offset wheels for the rear. Silvias have an offset similiar to what you would need.

If you already have wheels, these *may* fit with an uncut F series diff.

Cheers

Ive measured the diff centre, it appears to be equally spaced either side or the tailshaft. however, im not 100% what model it came out of, and if it is a 4wd diff, how far offset it would be?

I drove the car and it didnt seem to get any vibration from the driveline, even under high rpm load it sat well up untill about 190km/h when the ride height came into play, (she's way to low) and i backed off.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

i thought 4wd diffs were 6 stud???

This ones a 4 stud, its got the standard tailshaft from the ta22, 4 bolts to mate tailshaft to diff.
    It also has seats for coil springs, which surprised me, i though most lux's had leaves on the rear?

btw guys, can you see my avatar? i dunno, its not showing up on my browser....
    Last edited by 75Ta22LT; 16-09-2006 at 12:13 PM.