Thread: Temp Gauge Problems

Forum Member Grease Monkey Ghostrider's Avatar

Default Temp Gauge Problems

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, just today.

I am in the final throws of doing a 1UZ conversion to an MX83 and have problems with my in dash temp gauge.

I have replaced the sensor to same characteristics as std MX83 and spliced a wire into the back of the gauge, direct to the sender unit.

Will this fix my problem and give me a reading, or do I have to use an accessory gauge.

Thanks

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Re: Temp Gauge Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, just today.

I am in the final throws of doing a 1UZ conversion to an MX83 and have problems with my in dash temp gauge.

I have replaced the sensor to same characteristics as std MX83 and spliced a wire into the back of the gauge, direct to the sender unit.

Will this fix my problem and give me a reading, or do I have to use an accessory gauge.

Thanks
    No, this should work fine. the perfect solution is to use a std mx83 sender into the 1uz motor, and directly wire it to the gauge. I did this in my ma61 and it works great

Thanks.

I thought of simply changing the sender units, but the 1UZ uses a 1/8th Gas sender and the MX83 uses a 14mm.

I contacted Tridon in Sydney and they gave me a part number for a sender of identical characteristics to stock MX83 sender, but in 1/8th Gas size.

I also have 2 x 14 in Davies Craig thermo fans mounted to the stock radiator, controlled by a 95 on - 90 off switch.

Regards.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I have absolutely zero faith in the standard temp guages, ever since my 1J Cressida (back when it was owned by my brother) burnt out the fan relay & overheated in traffic, while the temp guage sat there smiling on the middle of the scale, giving no indication of an over temp.
    An aftermarket guage was soon fitted replacing the standard guages sensor, and what do you know, even unplugged the needle on the standard guage still swings up to the middle of the scale once the engine starts!

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Having done some testing on the cressida in the past, the factory gauge tends to hang around in the middle over a certain range of temperatures.
    Up to around 80 degrees the gauge goes up to around the middle, then remains pretty much level until over 90 (95 perhaps?). However believe me when I say that it does go higher and does display higher temperatures - it will happily go all the way to the red if you let it, and certainly off the scale.
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    I have absolutely zero faith in the standard temp guages, ever since my 1J Cressida (back when it was owned by my brother) burnt out the fan relay & overheated in traffic, while the temp guage sat there smiling on the middle of the scale, giving no indication of an over temp.
    An aftermarket guage was soon fitted replacing the standard guages sensor, and what do you know, even unplugged the needle on the standard guage still swings up to the middle of the scale once the engine starts!
    Without being branded a smart ass, like I have been on other forums ..... I guess your gauge is stuffed eh!

Well guys, the problems have been solved, there was no earth going to the standard gauge at the back of the cluster and since that has been fixed, all is now honky dory.

I have a back up plan and that is an alarm. I picked up a warning device at a swap meet some time ago, used to be sold by Dick Smith Electronics and it sets off an audible noise when the temp gets to 108 degrees C, which is just below cook temp.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis