Thread: ST165 Guru's

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default ST165 Guru's

Hey Guys. I'm in need of some ST165 Guru's to help me out. I need to know what suspension parts of a ST162 standard fwd celica are exactly the same as that on an ST165. This means shocks, springs, bars, bushes the lot. Front and Rear.

I am currently in the process of revamping the susp on my GT4 ST165. I am in need of some things like lower control arm bushes and top strut mounts. Can i use the equivalent off of a ST162. Also i am struggling to find shocks for the GT4. Are the front ones the same and are the rear ones close.

I would appreciate only people who know for sure to reply because otherwise i could be left with a car in peices with parts that don't fit.
    Thanks guys

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Default Re: ST165 Guru's

try get in touch with piggy or DV on these forums - they have both cars (ST162 +ST165), im sure they'll be able to help you out.

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

if your looking for a nice upgrade in shocks/springs, st185 coilovers can fit into a st165 with some slight modifications.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t165+coilovers

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=160&page=257

these should help
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

cruisin in a z30 Automotive Encyclopaedia -=DV=-'s Avatar

mate EVERYTHING is the same..with the exception of the actual strut....the struts will fit but he 165 suspension is alot stiffer than the 162...other than that everything is identical
    JZZ30 Soarer

wow....only one toyota now, at one point i owned 6....whats happened to me :S

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice MAD180's Avatar

Just wondering how you went with this, as I am in the process of doing the exact same thing, I have another thread in the tech section about this exact same topic

Well...
    The springs from a 162 will fit front and back, but that doesn't make them the same.
    Obviously being 4WD the 165 need a different rate spring to the 162's. so i upgraded to whitelines because they were the only company in australia that listed a different upgrade spring for the 165 as opposed to the 162..
    DV is right, all the bushes are the same, bars mount in the same spot but again, 4wd provides different handling characteristics so you need bars designed for a 165 not a 162, the handle like two completely different cars, because they are.
    Shocks are a bitch. Wider bore on the 165 which means nothing for a 162 is any good. You can get koni's for a 165, but only koni's. I did have a recent brainwave though. Do the struts and strut mounting points match up on a 162 nd 165. If so why not by some 2nd hand 162 struts, slap them in the 165, and get a decent upgrade for them (including the necessary chop and join in the rear) coz you get much more choice of shock... that is if you don't want koni's (if you have a gf then you probably don't)
    Hope this helps, let me know how you go.
    Peace out

Yeah the only reason I wanted to avoid the Koni's, was because ive had both Koni's and KYB's in the past and I personally thought the KYB's were better. Which is why I wanted to put them in from my 162.

Doesnt look like theres alot of options though

Add Lightness! Grease Monkey spectral's Avatar

I got bitten by this.. using ST182/4 suspension components (in particular springs) in a ST185 GT4.

The result is that the springs just couldn't handle the extra 300kg of weight that the GT4 had.. especially while cornering and braking.

An upgrade to stiffer rate Eibach's solved the problem instantly.

I wanted kyb's too. Not coz they're better but because they are softer and therefore more suited to road driving. Koni's are a pure performance shock, real hard on our "outstanding" australian roads

So would KYB 185 Rears and KYB 162 Fronts work?

This is another thing that people seem to do after reading up on google.

How will this affect weight ratings etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD180
    So would KYB 185 Rears and KYB 162 Fronts work?

This is another thing that people seem to do after reading up on google.

How will this affect weight ratings etc?
    You'd have to change whole strut in over in the front coz 162 inserts will be to skinny for 165 struts. I dunno if the rear will fit coz its a sealed unit and that means you will be changing the whole strut anyway.

As far as weight goes, it doesn't make any difference to how the car sits, if thats what your asking. shocks control movement, they have no affect until the car moves ie bumps, corners.
    So think more of matching to ya springs than ya cars weight.

So the quest continues for a decent affordable ST165 Shocker setup....

Well I just did a full shock/spring revamp in my 165. To anyone that wants to know part numbers that do and dont fit etc, check my car log here

ST162 shocks will not fit alone, there is alot more too it than that, you need a combo of 185 and 162 parts, read up in my thread to clear up any confusion. I have been dicked around with wrong parts for the last 3 weeks sorting this out for you people!

There is the love...

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I'm really surprised to find the front struts to be different from FWD & 4wd models...

I've got Koni yellow inserts in my Caldina struts. They were the only thing I could get as nothing Oz is the same. I'm now on my 2nd set of fronts after 110 000km & I rate them really highly. As they're adjustable, you can dial them in to suit. If its too rough, that's more than likely your springs. I solved that problem by getting slightly longer springs made up with a slightly lower spring rate.
    Sits the same height when the car's on the ground, but with more suspension travel & comfort.
    BTW, I've now got a set of stock factory ST162 springs in the front & my original sagged springs in the back. Its really comfortable now, though rolls like a boat I've just wound the struts up a bit to compensate.