Thread: Adapting Ford 2.0 Intake Manifold to 2T/3T

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Adapting Ford 2.0 Intake Manifold to 2T/3T

I've seen it mentioned that one way to upgrade the intake on the 2T/3T is to adapt a Ford 2.0 intake manifold to the T-series Toyota head. I guess this is for applications using downdraft carbies. There seem to be a lot of aftermarket intake manifolds available for the 2.0 Fords but nothing much for these T-series Toyotas.
    Does anyone know anything about how this conversion is done or whether it's even worth attempting?
    Thanks, rob.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Adapting Ford 2.0 Intake Manifold to 2T/3T

I've never heard of adapting the intake manifold, but it used to be popular to use the downdraught carbie from a Ford 2.0 (I think it was a Weber). You could even buy adapter plates to do it, in fact I think I had one way back in the day. Not sure if you can still buy them, but frankly it's not a very good upgrade. If you've modified your engine to the point where the stock carbie is choking it, you'd be better off adapting a 2T-G manifold and running sidedraughts.

Thanks Norbie. Yes, sidedrafts would be a better option performance-wise but pretty expensive as well. Is converting the 2TG intakes a relatively simple procedure?
    Here's the link to the Aaron Willis article which mentions converting the Ford intake:

http://www.toyota3tc.com/forum/viewt...highlight=faq/

Cheers, Rob.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

did australia get the 2.0 ford pinto engine?

surely someone like redline or lynx makes side draught manifolds?

what benefit is there of the pinto manifold over the stock one.. if they still use a downdrught carby?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

back into it Chief Engine Builder

lol im chasing parts for two as we speak that are being done for unders IP, i can always get the measurements if needed.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

2ltr pintos are common in australia, whether they came out here originally or not, so there is a fair few parts for them around. the manifolds are very common on ebay, should be a few on there atm, probably with the 32/36DGV weber on them, but they always go for $100~.
    Side draught manifolds are mostly aftermarket and very sort after, ud be better off with a 2TG factory side draught manifold (is it a 2TG enigne uve got?).

I think it would easier to put a 32/36 weber on a 2T manifold and make an adaptor plate, then to modify the pinto manifold for a 2T head.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Yeah, I think a lot of the Capris & Cortinas came equipped with the 2.0 "Pinto" engine & there seem to be a quite a few Lynx brand dual plane intakes around here in Australia.
    In the US they have the very cool looking Offenhauser manifolds designed for the 2TC & 3TC engines.
    My Corolla is running a 3TC & I have the 32/36 with adaptor plate already taken care of. Just wanted to upgrade the intake manifold.
    Sidedrafts are expensive as are the intake manifolds which seem to be pretty hard to come by too.
    Still curious about how the conversion from Ford 2.0 to 3TC is accomplished.
    Rob.

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Redline make single and dual sidedraught manifolds to suit the 2T.

Adapting the 2T-G manifold, even any manifold, to the 2T bolt pattern would end up costing as much as buying a new manifold, unless of course you can weld alloy and can use a milling machine and have access to all the tools and materials.

Going to a dual sidedraught set up is your best option. Once you have the set up then the carbies can be tuned and re-tuned as the engine is developed. No need to change again.

I have a 2T manifold here if you are interested? I can get them quiet easily.

Regards

Rodger

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    did australia get the 2.0 ford pinto engine?

surely someone like redline or lynx makes side draught manifolds?

what benefit is there of the pinto manifold over the stock one.. if they still use a downdrught carby?
    Apparently the factory Ford manifold isn't a bad thing (damn near perfect flow distribution and low losses). If it's close to a bolt up, it might be worth a try.

I've got one in my shed, I'll try to remember to grab some pics tonight.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

we certainly got the SOHC pinto boat anchor... but the carbi's were renouned for breaking the auto choke control.

The stock carbi has a mechanical link to the secondary - not vacuum controlled like the factory toyota carbi.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Manual choke conversion FTW!

Pics:

It's about 410mm long overall

The ports are slightly taller than wide (about 1mm)

About 102mm between centers.

Good photos Ben.
    The ports look like a pretty close match to the Toyota ones. But the mounting holes are in completely different locations.
    So looks like it would involve a bit of fabricating work or at least some kind of adaptor plate.
    How much would a sidedraft manifold cost & then there's the price of the carbies on top of that which probably isn't really an option for someone on a limited budget.