Thread: 7A engine making loud tapping sound

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 7A engine making loud tapping sound

hi all,
    my ae92 corolla with a 7a engine inside has started to make a loud tapping sound over
    3000rpm, this happens at normal acceleration, yet if you open it up from the lights full throttle the sound doesnt happen, but normal driving it happens.
    any help?
    power seems to be still there,

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: 7A engine making loud tapping sound

possibly an oiling problem?

my guess is the hydraulic tappets not getting enough oil until you plant it...? are you sure it's not pinging??

fuel pump, bad injectors, clogged fuel filter and lines would cause fuel starvation and pinging.. while bad / insufficient oil, tappets / valves need adjusting cause the tappets to make noise... a bit more info to pinpoint the specifics would be really helpful..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

ok, sound will only happen under load, sitting in driveway free revving it, no sound except 1 noisy injector, engine when i got it had 85,000kms, had already had new timing belt and service, car was arse ended by truck so i snavvled engine, now has about 150,000kms,
    is running on a 95 4afe computer due to i neva got to get ecu, so throttle bodie was changed back to a 4a throttle body, and running with 4a loom, to date has produced 93kw afw. running approx 12-13+ in timing, runs 98 octane only along with octane boost every fill up,
    only bad thing thats happend is my oil light flashed on for less than 1 sec whilst late
    but car was shut off right then and ther on the spot, , just coasted till i ran outta speed and pulled in at a servo, 4 hrs later, topped up oil, and drove home like a grandma, then just did a oil an filter change, an now this noise has started....
    Last edited by 86_celica_3sge; 31-08-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Might want to keep quiet about the street racing thing if you don't want to get flamed

Flange gasket maybe? I've had a similar experience before with a 4afe motor with a fucked flange gasket, made a tapping sound under load at certain rev ranges.
    I am the sun

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

sounds like u ran dry for a while.. and must've cooked something bad for the knocking to come on only under load... hmm..

did u have to top up very much though? when it stalled.??

(p.s. edit your post and refrain from stating negative activities mate)
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

car never stalled, i shut it off my self,
    and it took under 1lt of oil and it was full,
    i dont understand why it has happend, wasnt exactly revving tha life out of it, was in 4th with a steady acceleration, approx 4,300rpm doesnt redline till 6,700rpm
    the light only flashed for not even a second, i just didnt want to take a chance so i turned it off an pulled over at the next servo,

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

the oil light is an idiot light.
    you will do damage to the bearings even before the idiot light comes on.

if the light came on while driving, and then made noises, you have probably spun a big end, or worse... it takes a fraction of a ssecond to destroy a bearing and crank

is it a hollow knocking/thud? if you have ever heard a big end, you will know what it sounds like.. anything valves will be higher pitched and different frequency.

Vios, are you sure the 7A has hydraulic tappets?? you had better be sure, or edit your post aren't they cam actuated buckets???
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

its a real fast distinct tapping sound, occurs at approx 3ooo rpm in normal driving conditions,
    but yet if u open it up off the lights having a bit of fun the sound doesnt happen.??