Thread: Power Steering (n00b question)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ZZE92's Avatar

Red face Power Steering (n00b question)

Apologies for this being a little bit of a n00b question, but my understanding of power steering systems isn't all that great..

If one was to disconnect the belt that drives the power steering pump and drive without it (say for up to a couple of weeks) is there any risk of causing damage to any other parts of the steering system (ie. Mainly the NEW rack) by driving around without the pump running?

*background - Aircon is completely siezed (finally eh Rod? ) and car won't start with the belt connected.. Still need to get around at the moment and unfortunately not much is going to be open over the long weekend. This was the only way I could think of to get around the problem in the mean-time*
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    the snatch has been through hell and back and is still kicking!

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: Power Steering (n00b question)

Can you run a shorter belt that doesn't use the aircon?

Breaker of Things 1st year Apprentice setsuna's Avatar

I don't think so, without the Hydraulic pressure to assist turning of the rack/wheels, just have really hard to turn wheel?
    well not really, just 'hard' - for all you power steering people

-DAvid

I like to pretend I'm a Domestic Engineer 74ROLLA's Avatar

Make sure your tyre pressures are right! Do not turn the steering when stationary if at all possible, and you should be able to drive whilst building up your biceps! (save on gym fees!)
    Cheers
    ROB

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Have done this as my air cond siezed up too.I tried to get a shorter belt but they must run a different tensioner on the ones without air cond.

Regards
    Paul

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ZZE92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    Can you run a shorter belt that doesn't use the aircon?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI16V
    Have done this as my air cond siezed up too.I tried to get a shorter belt but they must run a different tensioner on the ones without air cond.
    I'm not sure if the smallport 4age ever actually came without air-con & power steering. I know Rod had a look for a shorter belt for me to run in this configuration a while ago (ie. steering but no air) and wasn't able to find one either..

As long as I'm not likely to cause any damage to anything i'm happy to keep driving as is until I can get the air-con replaced.. Went out to National Park today and it feels great to drive at speed on windy roads.. Reverse parking and three point turns are a bitch though

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    the snatch has been through hell and back and is still kicking!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

It is fine to drive around without the pump. It is only slightly dodgy. As long as there is oil in the system, it's fine.

Quite often, people manualise assisted racks by removing the plumbing and looping the inlet/outlet hoses from the rack so there is permanently oil in the system, and often these cop it on the track without complaint.

But I bet it sucks not having air conditioning at the moment!!

User Conversion King

yep, should be fine as long as there is oil in the system. although expect the steering to be heavy as. (build those arms )

Quote Originally Posted by tricky

But I bet it sucks not having air conditioning at the moment!!
    ha!
    come to NQLD for a day. 35 degree heat and 80% relative humity at times.

your probly experiencing our winter ATM
    hello

Roflcopter Pilot Backyard Mechanic thu187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    yep, should be fine as long as there is oil in the system. although expect the steering to be heavy as. (build those arms )

ha!
    come to NQLD for a day. 35 degree heat and 80% relative humity at times.

your probly experiencing our winter ATM
    Try not having aircon OR power steering lol im sure alot of other ppl have neither as well.. anyway it's 37 tomorrow in Sydney so

Has anyone noticed how late it gets dark these days? I mean even with daylight savings.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Alchemist's Avatar

It's not a technical answer to this(sorry Paul), but just a general comment on power steering. First 2 cars, TA23 and SW20 didn't have power steering, but were both still easy enough to park and turn the wheels while stationary, just kept the front tyres pressure right. But with my JZA80 damn....a few days after I got it the battery died had to roll start it, but to aim it at a hill I had to do a 3 point turn, DAMN the steering was so heavy I could bearly use it the JZA80 without power steering is damn near impossible!