Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOV question (noob alert)

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default BOV question (noob alert)

Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with the BOV on my TA63 celica.
    Here's the story, i had a friend make up some piping for an intercooler and weld the BOV in. My first question is "will too much heat cause the BOV to function incorrectly?". For some reason my mate welded it into the piping right above the turbo manifold (There is a heat shield over the manifold but it still gets bloody hot). Should I put more heat shielding over the manifold?

The second question related the vacuum source from the intake manifold to the top of the BOV. In the pic below there is a vac source with a hose that runs right down near the sump somewhere. “Can I put a T-piece in that hose and run it to the BOV?. (like in the pic). I noticed when I put the T-piece in and didn’t connect the hose to the BOV (just let it suck air from the atmosphere) the engine ran real rough. Why is this?

sorry for the noob questions.

Cheers,
    King noob
    (Dizzy)

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: BOV question (noob alert)

your bov should be ok there!

The reason you car would have run like crap is cause of an air leak. -- sucking in more air and not having enough fuel or it was riching up to try and compensate.

As for the vac line you are using . Try and find out where it goes. Some lines will be ok to T from others wont.

Do you have any spare / unused vac ports on you inlet manifold ???

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Are you running a Airflow meter or a Map sensor, if running an airflow meter it will run like crap when air gets into system that meter has not seen.

If running a AFM and dumping air with a BOV it will confuse the ECU and make it run rich when dumping, same reason ECU has seen the air and will add fuel to balance mixture but air is not making it to combustion chamber.

regards
    jon
    Last edited by jonra23; 29-08-2006 at 08:05 AM.

I am running an AFM (so that clears up that part). Also i have no spare vac sources on the inlet manifold thats why i am asking this. Another thing is a friend told me that running the BOV from a T-piece will cause it to under perform. Is this correct?

i'll find out where the vac hose runs to tonight as i am at uni now. It would be so much easier to run it from that spot as all the other vac sources are used up and already have T pieces from them. Anyone who knows the 3tgte will probably know where that vac hose runs. so if u sould please fill me in that would be great.

Also. i purchased a second hand EMS ECU when i get this installed and tuned will it stop my car running rich when dumping air from the BOV?
    Cheers,
    Dizzy

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

If jonra is right plumb it back will solve that. Plumb back is better IMHO anyway...
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

Depends if the EMS will let you run a map sensor instead of a AFM. If it does install a map senor at the same time. Basicaly the computer has read the air going into the compressor is you vent that out it will still think its there and run fuel to compensate. if you plumb it back you wont loose the air so it will all be good. Think of an atmo BOV as a controled boost leak.
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

Teeing off an existing line will not detrimentaly affesct BOV performance, you are looking for a vacumn signal rather than moving a big volume of air, if you are worried make tee close as possible to manifold.

If the EMS is going to be set up after AFM will get same issue with an externaly vented BOV, Plumback will fix it, if it is going to be set up with MAP will be no worries, other than the police.

regards
    jon

Cheers guys, once i've checked which vac hose i have put the t-piece in i will let u know and hopefully clear up which vac source i can tap into for the bov. I think i will run plumback as well.

Cheers

Default Re: BOV question 3tgte (noob alert)

Hey, i got pics of where the vac source is running to. I think it is running to the water pump (i'm not 100% tho??). There is something else above it also with a pulley which i think in for the air con. So is it ok to run the BOV from the vac port that leads to the water pump?

Sorry for the silly questions, i'm still learning (first car).

Cheers
    Josh

sorry heres the pics

Really hard to see too much in those pics Josh, you want to pic up a vacumn line jast after the throttle body(injector side of where the throttle cable hooks up)

Take some pics of that area and may be able to be more help, sorry.

reagrds
    jon

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

ive got a question too, hooking up a vac line from before the throttle body, i.e. not between the piston and throttle body (still in the 'turbo - cooler - intake' track), as far as my brain power got me, that will make the BOV do Sweet FA....?

Eldar.O.

Hey
    sorry, i'm not very good with the camera, here are some pics of the vac ports on the intake manifold. There is one that has two t-pieces off it already with the bov as a third further along (red circles).

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
    Dizzy

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    ive got a question too, hooking up a vac line from before the throttle body, i.e. not between the piston and throttle body (still in the 'turbo - cooler - intake' track), as far as my brain power got me, that will make the BOV do Sweet FA....?

Eldar.O.
    100% correct, there won't be any vacuum to trigger the BOV.

Callum

Yes has to be after the throttle body as both EldarO and WDE BDY said,looking at the pics in your first post, looks like it is OK, especialy if it is sucking reasonably hard at idle.

regards
    jon