Thread: Hilux engine/gearbox compatibility

Forum Member

Default Hilux engine/gearbox compatibility

Hey

Ok Here's the go:
    2 hilux's.
    One is an 80 model 4WD (RN46), with an 18R. however the old 18R is about dead. The other hilux is a Diesel (unfortunatley i don't know what type it is, couln't find any engine codes on the engine or any other plates. maybe 2L?? dunno) anyhow it's an 81 model LM40
    so... i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the diesel could be taken out of the 2wd LM40 and put in the 4WD (RN46), replacing the 18R. will the diesel bolt up to the transfer case/gearbox with was on the 18R???

Cheers

User Conversion King

Default Re: Hilux engine/gearbox compatibility

its LN40 by the way, not LM40. all hilux's IIRC are xNxx

being that one engine was an L series , and the other was a R series, im 90% sure that you wont be able to throw the L engine on the R bellhousing.

there is also the problem with the engine mounts and the sumps as they are mostlikely different.

it is definitly alot of work when you could pick up another 18r for no more than $100. i would be able to sell you an 18r for $100 if you want to take that path.

i ve been in a LN40 hilux and its far far from fast, it'll be even slower in a 4wd body.
    hello

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Either that or you could find a 22R from a RA65 Celica which will give you a bit more capacity.

EDIT: Assuming stuff doesnt foul.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

User Conversion King

agreed,
    22R's have much more torque and a little bit more power than the 18r

still customising involved.

ask yourself how much money and time you want to put into the car then take your pick.

dont forget, changing the engine requires approval by an engineer if you want it to be street legal. but then again, what type of a coppa would pick on a hilux driver
    hello

Forum Member

yeah cheers fellas

i might yet be interested in that 18R.
    they're actually my old man's utes, out on his farm. the LN40's not real good as a farm ute as it's only 2wd besides diesels are much better in utes if your not concerned with having any highway speed at all. and the the other one, the 4wd, the engines screwed, so he was just wondering if he could put the diesel in it, and i said i'll find out on the good old forum.

but yeah as you say, when you can pick up an 18R for 100 bucks.......

thanx

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    dont forget, changing the engine requires approval by an engineer if you want it to be street legal. but then again, what type of a coppa would pick on a hilux driver
    The cool thing about a hilux being a full chassis vehicle is your choice of engines is pretty extensive. Go on, put a 1uz in..................