Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Default Re: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo
    EDIT: PS I can see both the 5m-ge conversion and 7m-ge conversion costing at least the same as a 2jz conversion within 1-2 years.
    How do you see that? The 2J will cost me heaps more

EDIT: And what butchering? I'll be getting a loom and ecu with the 5MGE, is there a lot of re-wiring I don't know about yet?

DOUBLE EDIT: Alright, if I don't do a conversion now I will do it later and it will cost more because I'll have to purchase a run about... I'll need to give my current motor a full service and tune because that never got done when I got it (which was in march). And I suppose I can do some cheap simple mods to 5ME along the way. And instead of spending money on a conversion now I guess I can spend some of the money time and effort on getting a better suspension and brake setup. This way if I did do the conversion later the rest of the car would be ready for it.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yea but aafter a few years you would have been paying to use extra fuel, maintenance etc

Quote Originally Posted by PlacentaJuan
    yea but aafter a few years you would have been paying to use extra fuel, maintenance etc
    Can't be worse than my current 17-18L/100km

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
    How do you see that? The 2J will cost me heaps more

EDIT: And what butchering? I'll be getting a loom and ecu with the 5MGE, is there a lot of re-wiring I don't know about yet?

DOUBLE EDIT: Alright, if I don't do a conversion now I will do it later and it will cost more because I'll have to purchase a run about... I'll need to give my current motor a full service and tune because that never got done when I got it (which was in march). And I suppose I can do some cheap simple mods to 5ME along the way. And instead of spending money on a conversion now I guess I can spend some of the money time and effort on getting a better suspension and brake setup. This way if I did do the conversion later the rest of the car would be ready for it.
    Cost you heaps more? Initial outlay perhaps, but it ain't all about that. You put in a 5m or 7m and you are putting in a motor that is likely to be at least 20 years old. a 2JZ could easily be almost brand new, as far as I'm aware the motor is still being used in new cars.

So, in one or two years you will probably be up for a rebuild...especially if you put the 7m in(I'd be rebuilding that now). Rebuilding old motors is expensive, this has already been mentioned.

Chances are you would pick up a 2JZ with far less than 100k kms on it. It'd go for a number of years without needing any major work on it, assuming it hasn't been thrashed out. So it'll cost 1.5-2k more when you put it in...but at least you won't have to take it out again to fix it!

Oh, and the absolute number one rule for conversions is make a budget that covers you if everything goes wrong...and then double it. That's how much you need for a conversion. Maybe triple it in the case of a 5m or 7m.

Been there....done that. Not again thanks.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo
    Chances are you would pick up a 2JZ that says it has far less than 100k kms on it.
    fixed for you
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Anyone read the double edit? You've all warned me against it so much now that I don't want to do it.

ma61turbo, I would not feel comfortable doing a 2J conversion so yes it would cost me a crapload in labour

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

research! ask if you can watch/help others with an engine conversion.... its really not as hard as you think, but definately get yourself a new motor.

you need to PM all the toymodders in VIC with any 7m or ma61 or engine conversion experience, and set a date, with the clear stipulation that beer and a bbq will be provided.
    You'll find that toymodders motivated by beer and food can work wonders, even when half drunk (such as Joorsh's 2jz-gte conversion, the first half of which was done by J, stitt, Ed n me, while consuming lots of beer and pizza)

edit: and Witzl must get a special thankyou for mid-coitally helping us find pressure plate bolts when we rocked up at his house with beers in hand.
    And toobs, for ridiculing us and Witzl
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

....why VIC?

SA, vic... one of those underprivelleged states

heh, gay pride.

I'm sorry but I'm not about to shove in a 7M with 300k on the clock. I'll stick with the 5ME for now and just fix up other parts of the car in the lead up to a possible conversion down the track. No point having a faster car if the brakes/suspension suck.

stock ma61 brakes are fine (engineering-wise). they're fine for emergency stops from 100km/hr... once you're going a lot faster than that, or on a track where tyhere's repeated hard braking, it's time for an upgrade.
    Braking from 180, and only getting to 100 before serious brake fade kicks in is scary, mmkay?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    stock ma61 brakes are fine (engineering-wise). they're fine for emergency stops from 100km/hr... once you're going a lot faster than that, or on a track where tyhere's repeated hard braking, it's time for an upgrade.
    Braking from 180, and only getting to 100 before serious brake fade kicks in is scary, mmkay?
    Mmm repeated heavy braking dowhill cooks em too fast.
    If in doubt power out

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Exactly why I want to upgrade. I want to be able to go the track days and things and not risk an accident because of crusty brakes.