Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Yeah, the only thing im saying is that the 7M isnt much more (I dont know how much you are getting the 5MGE for, or is it Joels?) and is likely to satisfy you for much longer than the 5M.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
    Clutch is fine, had it replaced not that long ago and now I have an 'extreme' brand heavy duty in there. Another advantage of the 5MGE I see is that if I do change my mind later down the track (which is probably what will happen) I can still turbo it without too much hassle whereas the 7MGE can't be turbo'd that successfully.

Call me stupid, close minded, stubborn whatever but this is what I want to do. I know I won't be getting heaps of power increase but it will still be enough for me.
    A) why would you want to turbo a 5mge (it would cost more and make less power than a 2JZGE)

B) why is turbo-ing a 7m harder? Esp when a 7MGTE is a turbo factory option and everything bolts onto the 7mge! I wouldnt do it personally but plenty of people will.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    A)
    B) why is turbo-ing a 7m harder? Esp when a 7MGTE is a turbo factory option and everything bolts onto the 7mge! I wouldnt do it personally but plenty of people will.
    Exactly to first 2 parts of B.

Sounds like assistance from some pretty handy guys has been offered.

There are plenty of strong 7mgte getting about, I believe they have a bit of a bad wrap on the head gasket issue, as said earlier in this thread, do it properly with good gasket and good new bolts and no more problem.

regards
    jon

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonra23
    There are plenty of strong 7mgte getting about, I believe they have a bit of a bad wrap on the head gasket issue, as said earlier in this thread, do it properly with good gasket and good new bolts and no more problem.
    Meh. That's an understatement. Every Jz owner and his dog thinks 7m's blow their gaskets every second day. Just look at the ones that were fixed well Rob. Mine's been running well for over 2 years.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

four pages and all i can say is paranoia mate.. everyone goes through this being a noob at an engine conversion... keep in mind there is no welding involved, it's pretty much bolt in and wire up.. plus i noticed there are a few people willing to give you a hand so there is very minimal chance of failure if any.... what exactly is on your mind? are you still weighing 5M-GE / 7M-GTE and the JZ engine?? or are u jsut weighing the effort to get it done? or the reliability??
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Bit of everything Vios and yes I have got the first time conversion jitters. I appreciate the help being offered by people but I want to see if I can physically do majority of it myself as sort of a self accomplishment thing.

When I said I was going to go 7MGE everyone told me 2J wasn't much more and 7M wasn't worth it. Now I say 5MGE and everyone says 7M. I'm looking at starting small as some sort of personal project and I don't know why everyone is against it so much. I know everyone is saying, "you'll get a lot more power out of so-and-so" but that's not what this is primarily about.

Takai, yes it's Joels

Heh, which of the brothers engine do you really want?

In all honesty, the killing factor with the 2JZ conversion is the fact that you need all the W manual stuff for it, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel etc. Other than that its pretty much the same as a 7M with the same amount of effort, just higher initial cost.

Personally i would only go a 5MGE if you could get it from Joel for $250 or so. The fact that Jesse has a 7MGE sitting there is a factor which i wouldnt sneeze at. The 7M and 5M conversions will be identical after you purchase the engine.
    The question you should ask yourself is how much do you want to outlay initially.
    $250 = 5MGE
    $500 = 7MGE
    $1250-1500 = 2JZGE

As said previously, if it was my choice then i would splash the extra bit of money and put the 7M into it, mainly because if you want to go 7MGTE later on you can put all the 7M bits to good use.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

His 7MGE has done 300,000ks whereas the 5MGE has done 200,000ks. My current engine has done 200,000ks so why would I get an engine that'd one 100k more?

You do have a point there. The km on the 7M is a bit of a killer.

Either way though, i would be more considering what you will do to it next. If you are set on doing a 2JZGE conversion in the future i would be inclined to do the 5MGE. If you arnt set on the 2JZ conversion, then the 7M would be a good compromise between providing enough power now, and not spending a metric bucketload.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

7MGTE bits all bolt to a 5MGE anyway...
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Takai, 2JZ or 1UZ would be my ultimate goal for the MA61 but something like that would be years away for me at the moment.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    regardless of your M series engine, don't forget to set aside money for new head bolts and a MHG
    Lies and slander! 5M heads don't suffer the bolt torque problem the younger brother 7M's o.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    7MGTE bits all bolt to a 5MGE anyway...
    not all bits... but I know what you mean

The problem with the 5m-ge swap, although it is probably considered the easiest, it's the oldest motor varient. You'll have old worn out hydraulic lifters to worry about too which aren't terribly cheap to replace.

The problem with the 7m-ge swap, well the motor you have as the option has many kms, but a rebuild would probably fix that if you were to keep it.

Turboing either motor is pointless when a 7M-GTE is the obvious (cheap) choice. The amount of money you would waste trying to turbo the n/a motors would probably cost more. 1JZ-GTE would be my preferred option however.

Hence the 2JZ still I think comes back to being the best option if you don't want to go turbo. There is not point in having "in-between" motors swapped in. It's just money wasted and puts you further away from your final goal.

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

Chris,

Putting a 7m-ge in is seriously no harder than putting a 5m-ge in. Personally I think you should save your pennies until you can afford to put a 2JZ in because whether you put a 5m-ge or a 7m-ge in, you are just putting another old motor in an old car. Difference between 200k kms and 300k kms isn't going to really matter, at that point *both* motors are probably due for a rebuild.

Seriously. If you want to do a conversion, do it properly. I can guarantee you that you won't be happy with the difference between the 5m-e and the 5m-ge. I'm also willing to bet that in 12 months time you'll be kicking yourself because a) it would have cost you more than you hoped(it always does) and b) you now can't afford to put a 2jz in and do it properly.

Do it properly or don't do it at all. Modified cars are a money pit, you don't want to make it worse by doing two conversions within a couple of years. You won't be turbo'ing either a 5m-ge or a 7m-ge, it's farking pointless and an even bigger waste of money.

EDIT: PS I can see both the 5m-ge conversion and 7m-ge conversion costing at least the same as a 2jz conversion within 1-2 years.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Not to mention you are making the second conversion even harder as you already had one go at butchering your wiring system lol.
    If in doubt power out

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    Not to mention you are making the second conversion even harder as you already had one go at butchering your wiring system lol.
    Indeed. I'd hate to do a second conversion to my car, some of the wiring behind the dash is a mess!