Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Default Re: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

I don't think the 7m-ge is significantly harder... the wiring would be slightly more involved, but thats not too hard to sort out. Exhaust stuff/engine mounts/gearbox/etc would be the same. Power steering, is that on the same side?

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
    If James can do this conversion in a day/night then I think I should be able to pull it off in just over a month with a bit of help.
    I had help with that conversion however.. and the engine was ma61 ready.... but it's possible with preperation.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Well, the engine is out and there, you could always get started straight away
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    May I ask how the 7MGE is so much harder?
    I've never done a conversion before and from what I've been asking and reading it will be harder than a 5MGE and I don't think I could personally do it.

lumpy, lol at the oil

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic STR8 2.8's Avatar

5me-5mge is a piece of piss conversion. its bolt out bolt in basically. just need a new p/s hose made up and a few other bits and thats about it. theres not much to it. easy weekend swap. but i agree with what others have said...save your money.
    do the 2j, sure its a little bit more complicated but take your time and there is no reason why you cant do it yourself.
    I have a Crown

Power steering hose and a few other bits? Care to elaborate on the few other bits?

I know I need the throttle cable from the MX73 because the MA61 is a tad too short I believe.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Dude. 7mge You doing something at TAFE regarding electronics or wiring aren't ya? I have no knowledge whatsoever at wiring. Ask James (Viper_Nipplex). I compeltely and utterly suck at it so much, I actually almost set my car on fire. But it took me 3 hours to wire the 7mgte up Mechanical wise, it should be pretty much bolt in I would say? MX83 7mge front sumped?
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Yes they are front sumped I used to do electronics at TAFE but it's the whole mechanical side of things I think I might struggle with a bit. For example on the 5MGE gen II's I will need to somehow get a mechanical dizzy to work with that. I have no idea how I'm supposed to hook my 5me dizzy upto the 5mge. And this is supposed to be the easy conversion, there are no doubt harder unforseen things I would have to do with a 7MGE swap.

The 7MGE was only going to be done because someone else was going to do it for me. Now that's not happening I have to do this myself and I just don't want to spend all the time and money on a 7MGE then find out I can't do it and I won't have anyone to help me put it in

Lots of people on the old toymods forums did the conversion with success and that's why I want to try it. If it falls through I haven't lost much money but with a 7MGE it could be a lot more money wasted if I fail.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Mechanically with a 7mge, being front sumped, would be dead set easy. Take out 5me, put 5me engine mounts on 7mge, and put 7mge in.

Getting the air con and power steering to line up and work may take a curse or 2, but all in all shouldn't be too hard. I was lazy. I piffed my air con in the bin.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

If you are able to do a 5mge swap you are going to be able to do a 7mge swap, especialy in a month.

regards
    jon

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

regardless of your M series engine, don't forget to set aside money for new head bolts and a MHG
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonra23
    If you are able to do a 5mge swap you are going to be able to do a 7mge swap, especialy in a month.

regards
    jon
    .... here we go again. I am unsure if I will even be able to complete this swap! If I can't do it, I've wasted well under a grand with a 5MGE. If I try and fail with a 7MGE that's a lot more money spent on my part and I can't risk for it all to be a waste. I'm doing the 5MGE, nothing now is going to change me to the 7MGE at the current point in time with money and time restraints. And this is a month of working a couple hours each night during the week. I work full time.

Can I just get some responses now from people that have done the swap and have any detailed tips/pointers on exactly what needs to be done? Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    regardless of your M series engine, don't forget to set aside money for new head bolts and a MHG
    Noted

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Dude, i would be more than happy to give you a hand if you get stuck with the 7M conversion. It will be mch easier to do on a budget over the 2J mainly due to the extra cost of the bellhousing for the 2J.

Im sure Joel and Jesse would also give you a hand. It seriously wouldnt be hard at all. Im even guessing that the ECU will have all the markings on ithe PCB for the pinouts, at which point its a piece of cake.

As for costings, if you go with Jesse's motor, even at the $500 asking price I cant see it being over a grand for it to be in.
    The only hiccups i could see would be $190+60 for ARP studs and headgasket, and maybe $250 for a new clutch if you need one (youll know now if you do).
    The new PS line for them will have to be made up for either the 7MGE or the 5MGE as they have the PS in the same spot from memory. AC is exactly the same, and you will need to regas either way if you are going to keep it.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

To get away from a regas on AC, remove AC compressor from motor whilst still in car without disconnecting hoses, zippy tie to chassis, do do motor swap and then refit ac compressor to new motor.

regards
    jon

Clutch is fine, had it replaced not that long ago and now I have an 'extreme' brand heavy duty in there. Another advantage of the 5MGE I see is that if I do change my mind later down the track (which is probably what will happen) I can still turbo it without too much hassle whereas the 7MGE can't be turbo'd that successfully.

Call me stupid, close minded, stubborn whatever but this is what I want to do. I know I won't be getting heaps of power increase but it will still be enough for me.