Thread: 20v into ke30

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 20v into ke30

I have searched multiple times now for detail's on how to fit a 20v into a ke30 4 door only to find that most people have been told to search or look on the old forum, or were simply just told "it's easy", I did search but found only a bunch of dead links in older threads that don't help at all.

What I need to know is what engine mount's and other parts are needed (I am aware that some welding to make mounts fit is needed but "you need to make new engine mount's" isn't a tip of any great detail).

are there any issues with sump clearance, gearbox mounting (I'm restricted to an auto at my wrist is buggered), and other tech details to make the install less of a headache,also photo's of the new mount setup would be greatly appreciated.

I have bought a ke30 4 door but have yet to take delivery, all I know is the engine is dead.
    Last edited by DryftKult; 16-08-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 20v into ke30

http://toymods.org.au/Repository/Tec...20properly.pdf
    when the links get put back up again.
    or email board to get a copy sooner..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

i have almost just finished a 20v into ta22 conversion. which i could imagine being very simular. its not hard and really just need to follow the standard procedures.

buy a sprinter or ae71 crossmember. cut the mounts off the cross member, cut the mounts off the ke30 cross member. bolt all the sprinter engine mounts and brackets to the 4A, sit it in the engine bay at the right position/height etc.(maybe also mount the gear box to keep it straight) and weld the mounts to the ke crossmember.
    As for the rest of it should be fairly standard. ive seen this done before and i dont think clashing was an issue.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

rear mounted dizzy?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Also, the only auto which will go easily onto the back of a 20V is from an AE71 or a JDM AE86 (fortunately we didn't get auto AE86s in Oz).

I've heard AE71 sports a Trimatic unit.

Hen

thank's guys that helps a little, will have to wait till the links are working again so I can read more info on the swap.

No. i have had the dizzy, cut and changed to a cam angle sensor. still sticks out a little, but is now good to mount engine in standard (ish) position

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner
    buy a sprinter or ae71 crossmember. cut the mounts off the cross member, cut the mounts off the ke30 cross member. bolt all the sprinter engine mounts and brackets to the 4A, sit it in the engine bay at the right position/height etc.(maybe also mount the gear box to keep it straight) and weld the mounts to the ke crossmember.
    As for the rest of it should be fairly standard. ive seen this done before and i dont think clashing was an issue.
    Measure the width of the Sprinter/AE71 mounts (from outside edge of one mount on crossmember to outside edge on other mount on crossmember) before you go buying it. I think you will find that the mounts will be too wide to fit comfortably between the KE30 chassis rails as the sprinter/AE71 have a wider engine bay than the KE30.

I hope this makes sense.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

i have a rwd 20v in my ke70, and kept the standard computer and run a CAS through a convertor, but if i were to do it again i think a full aftermarket computer would be the best bet as i leaves more room for upgrades and probably isnt too much more work or mucking around.(or cost!) but otherwise it should all be pretty straight forward just do as the first guy said!