Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toymods & Historic Rego - Who wants it ?

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

Default Re: Toymods & Historic Rego - Who wants it ?

Quote Originally Posted by visions162
    Does it have to be a toyota as I have an old 27 chev I would like historic rego on but as such its not a toyota.
    AFAIK you can take a historic rego'd car on events for any approved car club. so you could register it with some chev club and then bring it to both chev club and toymods events.

Sweet as Suede Domestic Engineer visions162's Avatar

Well I reckon it would be welcome seeing as on the tray it has kegs setup and a fold out BBQ and because its on the tray it just counts as a load lol so we get away with it.
    Daily: 2006 Suzuki GSR 600
    Weekend: 1986 Celica Sx with 3sgte Gen 2
    Track Weapon: 2001 Honda Cr 250 Castrol Built Race Motor

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Due to the fact that the club is the one that will get there arse kicked for misuse of the historic rego, and the fact that the club is really aimed at Toyota enthusiasts and encouraging people to own Toyota's I'm going to say no I don't think we'd do historic rego for other makes.

There are a lot of other clubs out there that do historic rego and would I suspect be more than happy to have a 27 Chev in the ranks.

I'd suspect hotrod rego might be more appropriate though. Is the truck completely stock other than safety equipment? As this is what's specified for historic rego. The rules for hotrod rego are massively more relaxed, if I could register my cars under hotrod rego I wouldn't even contemplate historic rego.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

Yeah i wasn't saying that toymods would necessarily do the rego. but if he got historic rego through another club he would still be able to legally drive it to official toymods events. That's my understanding of the rules, i could be way off.

Chris

Yeah the vehicle can be used for any club event that the club you're a member of is invited to.

Sweet as Suede Domestic Engineer visions162's Avatar

nah its completely stock except for whats on the tray . thanks anyway
    Daily: 2006 Suzuki GSR 600
    Weekend: 1986 Celica Sx with 3sgte Gen 2
    Track Weapon: 2001 Honda Cr 250 Castrol Built Race Motor

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

you are correct on that one chris
    club reg enables you to drive your car to official events
    eg
    last year i drove my 23 to picnic at hanging rock
    and technically i can drive it from melb to bathurst if i wanted ,as long as the event is advertised, and you have a copy of the event that you are going to
    and you have the log book with you
    the strange thing here is that in vic we dont have to have the car insured at all
    though. it is advised that we have a third party cover at least
    there are submissions underway to have a 90 day permit
    and how that works is that the car can be driven at any time within the allocated 90 days
    an example of that would be that you can drive it almost every weekend for a year
    ian
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

The rules for Victoria seem to be a hell of a lot more leanient than they are in NSW. Case in point when Glen bought his RA45 up for Dyno day it had historic plates on it. In NSW that would never fly, the car is nothing like what the NSW historic club rego's are meant to cover.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

you can have modificatios to the car, aslong as they are mods from that PERIOD, or available that period,

are we getting a limited number of plates? with the mini car club, they had 30plates (i think).

It's open for interpretation but the closest to that I have seen on the official paperwork is "period accessories" which is not exactly period mods. The other paper work specifies no modifications other than safety mods.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN 05 NT
    you can have modificatios to the car, aslong as they are mods from that PERIOD, or available that period,

are we getting a limited number of plates? with the mini car club, they had 30plates (i think).
    What if you plan to modify it in this day and age and there are no parts like that available. can you use current parts that perform the same task (like replacement head unit) and what about general maintenance as unless it is a really popular make/model, then there wouldnt be many spare parts and most would have to resort to using what is available?

While not overly interesting in old cars (apart form some american muscle, etc) it is quite an interesting topic and may come in handy as by the time i can afford my dream car it will be a historic one! lol

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

It depends upon how original you want your car to be. Some people are happy to have custom items made if they cannot get a part, or use something very similar from another model (ie a 75 compnent in a 73 car).

It all comes down to how far you want to go. Soemtimes you put in a "close" or custom part to get by and keep on the lookout for an original part. If you're lucky and spot such an original component then you get it and put it in.

If you are going full concourse for originality and you have two identical cars and one has original parts and the other does not - no matter how close or customed to look original - the original car will take honours.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Thanks very much for that, very helpful.

Like i said earlier, i am not really interested in it personally but its great to hear from those that are. Its just to appreciate the effort that some people do for their own passion - which is often missed because it is so subtle, especially to most of us who a re used to being able to spot 'usual' modifications.