Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1JZ Turbo Upgrade

Junior Member Carport Converter spiller's Avatar

Default 1JZ Turbo Upgrade

about a month ago when i received the letter for rego renewal, i thought to myself that i would let it expire and take the JZA70 off the road for a while. this would give me a chance to tidy up the car and sort out a few teething issues.

that was the plan until my brother walked in the door oneday holding a brand new turbo that was given to him for free for his drift car. he explained he could get me a similar but larger turbo at a good price through his sponsor so i thought "why the hell not". so my rego actually expired yesterday (monday) the car will stay off the road until the little project is complete.

what am i using?
    criticise me if you will, but im doing this on the cheaper side of things. the turbo is internally gated and from Hypergear (probably havent heard of that) - it is pretty much identical to a turbo from KKR (which are a little more well known). yes, these are chinese items...

im unsure of exact specs but it seems to be of similar size to a GT30. it is rated at 500hp, but i will be happy with anything around the 250 rwkw mark (335rwhp)

the manifold is a stainless steel item from ebay (which i bought through these forums) and it arrived just today. so at the moment i just have the turbo and the manifold.

pics

bonnet of WOOHOOO

intercooler: ill most definately be going with one of the Just Jap Hybrid style coolers (keep that chinese theme moving along ) with some custom made pipe work in painted mild steel.

engine management: either an SAFC or SAFC2 since they seem to be pretty good bang for buck with a decent tune

fuel supply: 440cc 2JZ injectors seem to be the go. used ones go for around the $200 mark which is quite reasonable. i have also read about those 255L/hr Walbro fuel pumps on toymods so ill probably get one of those as well. obviously the car will need a tune soon after the turbo is fitted, but im still tossing up whether or not the stock fuel system will be up to scratch for what i want. ill probably "bite the bullet" and upgrade it before the tune so i dont have to stuff around with retuning later on.

clutch: most probably something like an extreme 5 puck clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate. these seem to be the go for most street cars these days and again, arent to bad price wise. i need to look further into this when the time comes though

at the moment, my present goal is to finish removing the stock twins (which is proving to be difficult but i am chipping away), so i can tidy up a few things before beginning the instal. i will be doing as many things as possible myself (to keep costs down) but rest assured, the car will not be back on the road until things are completed PROPERLY.
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

Default Re: 1JZ Turbo Upgrade

At first I was going to neg rep you for drinking Coke Zero, but I though the fact that you have a JZA70 and are modding it makes up for it Best of luck with your mods. May I ask how much you paid for the turbo, and how much it would be usually?

cheers mate

haha dont worry im no fan of coke zero, its all i could find to do a size comparison at the time the pic was taken

i ended up getting the turbo for 400 dollars but they retail for 690. i have to put a sticker on my windscreen but im more than happy to do so (it was a special deal through my brother because the same supplier donated one to him for his drift car as a sponsor) .
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

It will be interesting to see how these KKR/Hypergear turbos go in a performance application. I think they are using them on LSI Kits (GenT) so they must be pretty well made.
    It's a pity the chinese produced those rubbish turbos earlier on. I think they can produce any product to any std if the customer wants it. This will be a good test.

yeah i am sharing just as much interest as you mate im kind of not sure what to expect at the moment, but hopefully it will hold up alright. rest assured ill keep this thread well updated.

cheers
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

well, i've finnaly made some inroads into the upgrade. the stock turbos are now completely removed. what a fucker of a job! wouldnt have been able to do it without the help of a gas blow torch and the guidance of my dad (whose prtty experienced mechanically). the heat on the manifold bolts definately made them easier to crack.

while i was at it i was able to do a quick test fit of the manifold. looks like the existing strut brace will clear the turbo which is convinient

pics.

size comparison on the TR44 and CT12A

next on the adgenda is to thoroughly degrease the hot side of the motor (as it is absolutely filthy) and have everything looking top notch before i begin fitting the manifold, turbo, oil lines etc.
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

today i finally got around to degreasing the hot side of the motor. first up i used some heavy duty degreaser and a high pressure cleaner, followed by canned degreaser and a toothbrush. im fairly happy with the results.

BEFORE

i stuffed rags in any open holes to avoid water getting into the cylinders.

AFTER

there is still grease on the block, but that can stay there as the turbo and manifold will cover that up. my main goal was to clean the head up a bit, and i think ive achieved this somewhat. im about to order some rocker cover gaskets from toyota at $37 each () so this doesnt happen again!
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

Toymods Club Member Domestic Engineer Danners's Avatar

Lookin good mate! Interesting to see how she goes all bolted up
    Dan

someone say 2t-ze? Automotive Encyclopaedia gerald1's Avatar

nice degreasing there mate my 4a-f needs some of that

whos ur brother? i hope hes on these forums.

+ subscribing to thread

keep up the good work.

gerald
    ta22 Green with cream vinyl roof, 2t/3t hybrid with a few go fast bits on + 5 speed.

Forum Member

really keen for more information on those turbo's if anyone has had one on their car for awhile or something else along the cheaper side of TO4 sized turbos (TO4E / .8 rear housing) to be more specific

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

Hey Simon should you need anyone to test drive it for you, just let me know! I'm just around the corner after all.

Looking good so far
    you know what I mean this electric stream
    and my tears in league with the
    wires and energy and my machine
    this is my beautiful dream

Quote Originally Posted by gerald1
    nice degreasing there mate my 4a-f needs some of that

whos ur brother? i hope hes on these forums.

+ subscribing to thread

keep up the good work.

gerald
    cheers buddy. ah my brother is Matt (aka MR1JZ, think he's pretty well known to these forums...whore )

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    Hey Simon should you need anyone to test drive it for you, just let me know! I'm just around the corner after all.

Looking good so far
    thanks Caelum. haha ill let you know if i need a test pilot, although im sure a passenger seat can be arranged at some stage

spoke to my brother last night and we are sitting down tonight to work out what needs to be done next. hoping to move things along now so i can get this done within the next month.

oh and i purchased a new catback exhaust the other day because i didnt like my old one. its stainless steel and i got it for 350 bucks. bargain!

1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

shizen, havent updated this thread in a damn while.

still to go is cooler piping, dump pipe and wastegate fitment (amongst other smaller issues) and then its time to start it...
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

blang blang.

i like

Eldar.O.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hey man, this is sweet....
    ill be watching to see what happens and to see the progress..