Thread: BMW E36 diff choice? 300zx - Supra

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default BMW E36 diff choice? 300zx - Supra

Hi all,

Im looking for a pretty strong diff to go into a bmw E36 i want a stock type diff thats lsd, maybe out of a 300zx? or 180sx? Supra? can anyone recommend a good stock diff that they have had luck with???

i was going to go a M3 diff but way to hard to find and dont think they will handle the power 350rkw+. i think a 3.9 will be nice behind an auto....

cheers

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: BMW E36 diff choice? 300zx - Supra

G series diffs (A70 Supra, Z20 Soarer) are well proven at those power levels, and there are plenty of ratio choices as well as OEM/aftermarket diff centres.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

If it was me, I would be asking BMW guys first to see if there is a stronger replacement centre. If not, then see if anyone has done what you are planning and see what they did and ask opinions. Slotting a nissan/toyota etc. diff into a bmw just seems a bit illogical to me if there is a bmw equivalent. Also, Bentt on the old forums has an e30 with a stronger BMW rear end and he is putting a single turbo 2jz into his car also, so he could be helpful.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I agree - my very limited knowledge of BMW's means I can't answer properly, but I do know BMW guys go on about swapping around diffs and gearboxes a fair bit, and sometimes for quite brutal treatment. Something is loosely telling me you can basically bolt in something from a 5 series that takes abuse nicely. Maybe try finding a euro car forum to ask.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

E36 M3 3.2ltr Lsd would be the Best ,,they are the same as the M5 v8 400hp e39 .. you need to use the driveshafts as well ,, have you tried ASV ? only the M engine Cars came with a Lsd
    Cheers Cameron

hi all,

i tried asv with no luck they dont seem very helpful to like most wreckers . I was just thinking going with a supra or soarer diff is a good idea if i blow it up, it wouldnt be a problem to get another one cheap the only down side is that more time that i will have to custom it up but ill have to get someone to do the drive shafts as i dont have a lathe.

i might try you idea try a euro forum series 5 diff shouldnt be problem to get thought.

cheers

Forum Member Grease Monkey

There was a bloke in nz that had a rotor in a E30 he put a commodore irs diff into it.

yeah i rember years ago there was a guy in canberra that had a rotor in his e30 (Nick i think it was) he said he put a hsv diff behind it. must be pretty easy then, but mines a e36 i think the diff housing would be differnt. but worth a look.

cheers all

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

G series (supra, soarer) or F series (cressida, Grande is LSD) will hold up fine.

theres a 420 RWKW MK3 supra running around Aus that has shredded 2 G series LSD's though, he has now welded the centre, essentially a locker, and its now holding up fine.

Eldar.O.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

If you start munching the standard LSDs, fit an aftermarket one. If you're a nut, fit a spool.
    Nissan R200s are easy to get and many people claim them to be very strong - but I think it'd cost a fair bit to get driveshafts made for a diff conversion.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Not if the CVs spline together, just use the diff driveshafts and spline the CVs in.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence