Thread: 2TG/3TC hybrid into a Mitsi Sigma

Forum Member Grease Monkey bunkyt18's Avatar

Default 2TG/3TC hybrid into a Mitsi Sigma

Hey folks. I recently picked up a '81 GL Sigma in very good condition for $10. It has a long rego and is all good except for a suspected blown head/ head gasket. I had an idea to do a conversion for it with a 2TG/3TC Hybrid that I have hanging around here. I don't like any sigma motors as they have weak heads and corrode way to quickly.

How hard would it be to do this conversion? Any body done anyhting like it?

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG/3TC hybrid into a Mitsi Sigma

i havent done it or anyhting, but i assume you could fit something bigger in, id personally go a 18RG, or even bigger, maybe 1j? or 3s? 2t/3t hybrid will be not enough power for a fat piece of shit sigma. Actaully im not even sure if sigmas are even that heavy, but id still go an 18 RG at the least OHHHH 3TGTE would work real nice too!
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Sigmeister's Avatar

Probably would fit. I have a 3.8L VP engine in my Sigma and theres a fair bit of room at the front. A 2T\3T should fit. I think a 1J would be too long, you'd run out of room at the front unless you mounted the radiator\fans on the outside.
    Mounts for the engine would be the hardest part I would suggest. As far as physically fitting though, should be no worries.
    Classic JC Quotes
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    "Usually, a Range Rover would be beaten away from the lights by a diesel powered wheelbarrow. "
    "The Mitsubishi 3000GT is about as sporty as a game of Darts."

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

well to start with, what shape crossmember is it? ie forward facing or rearward?

box car racer 1st year Apprentice

I have seen 5 litre ford V8s in Sigmas, and most likely the T-motor would be similar in size (likely smaller except width) to the 4G6x 4 cylinder sigma motor.
    Like Barned01 suggested, sump placement and where the engine mounts are, plus getting the shifter into a reasonable spot would be bigger concerns than just whether it fits the space.
    Most likely a modded 2.6 sigma motor could be better in terms of difficulty vs benefit, bt I'd say you know that already.