Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1JZ into EA Falcon

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1JZ into EA Falcon

I need advice, im about to be given an EA Fairmont that belonged to my grandfather and for sentimental reason would like to keep it. However the engine and gearbox that are currently in the vehicle have jst about had it due to lack of maintence. It is low km 150000 but he skipped services. Now i want to transplant a 1JZ turbo or maybe a 2JZ non turbo engine into this vehicle as something different. To replace engine and gearbox with the same thats already in the car is going to cost around 1200 bucks for reco stuff. I have a budget of around 3-4 grand so im after any serious suggestions. Maybe if someone has done similar. I remember reading of a 1JZ turbo into an XF ute but not sure of any major hassles that may be involved.

My dad is a mechanic and we have worked on a few projects, so we will be doing as much as we can ourselves. But this project is set for a mid 2006 yr start date. Having said that i need to research early to ensure i have proper finances and a rough idea of were to start.

Hope someone can help. And yes be it known im keeping the car even though its not a Toyota as its sentimental and asked in the hope someone, someone maybe able to help me out

Thanks

Brian

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ into EA Falcon

gday mate. this is the link to the old forums where a 1JZ was fitted to a XF ute. might be worth a read for you
    http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...313ed830e749b5

Sounds like its going to be a good project. there will be a fair few customs parts that will need making/ordering. shouldnt have any problems as far as engine bay size goes...
    have you considered rebuilding and turbo-ing the standard engine.

id guess that you could get some decent power outta that motor, with low comp pistons and a decent head gasket.....

good luck with it tho
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Unfortunately the motor that is in the car at the moment is the dodgy 3.9L single point injected motor, backed up by 3 speed auto. So cutting edge its not funny haha. I figured by the time you spent the dollars on even a multipoint motor then set about adding a turbo the dollars would be really racking up. I dont mind saving a bit longer, but in the end a Ford engine is still a Ford engine. Also the Ford engine have had on going battles with head gaskets, this is one it 3 or so from memory. And this one is suspected of being on its way out. Was told this by a mechanic who said you can feel the bubbles in the coolant hoses. I tried this theory and its true you can feel a bubble or air pocket go through regularly.

Thanks for the link i tried a search here and couldnt find it on the other site, prob lack of sleep. Well thats my excuse and im sticking to it. HAHA. thanks again.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

whatever your doing, you wanna make sure you get a halfcut, unfortunatley, 3-4 grand will scrape you by on the halfcut.

whether your going to need a JZA70, JZA80 SZ or aristo halfcut, is upto your research.

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yeah my suggestion would be to lift your budget a couple of grand.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

1uzfe's are somewhat cheaper arent they?

Might be worth considering - sure it's an 8, but it's only 100cc bigger than the 6 it's replacing so economy shouldnt suffer much

Roadhouse Automotive Encyclopaedia emp?'s Avatar

i went for a spin in that xf ute afew weeks ago, and i must say its one very fun ride, went so much better than i ever thought it would and i was blown away when i was told it was running gas, cheap and quick

Marque Insane Grease Monkey

If the budget is going to be a problem with a 1JZ conversion, perhaps a 7M-GTE could be suitable?
    The money you save on the half cut could be used to fix the head gasket - should give you a strong motor that'll still give you the wow factor when someone looks under the bonnet...

Nath #347 Backyard Mechanic PHOBIA's Avatar

I love your drive mate to keep the car and to doing something different with it, but as stated above, you are going to need to lift your budget to pull of a 1 or 2j conversion. Having said that though, it would be a great achievement and something a little different so props to that. Just work out your budget and add another $2,000 to be sure. Good luck.
    1986 RT-142 Corona. Taking the phrase “WTF”, to a whole new level......

PHOBIA. Fear of.........investing your soul into customizing a "f@#kin what" a Corona???
    Click to see PHOBIA

hi,

sounds like you wanna do it cheap as possible? what i would do is buy a half cut and be careful buying a half cut better yet go there and check the half cut. i would go a 1jzgte or 2jzgte with an auto then get mv to speed up the changes.

then use all the ecu, loom, mounts, use your old raidator, if the half cut say is 3500 then say 500 for intercooler and pipes then engineer cert, exhaust make your own use your old cat and punch it out i probaly could get away with it for $5000 all up (doing it your self)

no dyno time is really needed all you might need is a check to see if your not running lean. but once you want more horse power new turbo etc.... the costs just go up and up..... ill probaly spend about 9000 to 10000 all up on mine (doing it my self) but im looking for about 350rwkws.

cheers......

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I was responsible for the XF

Whether I want to or not, I have unfortunately learnt a few things about XF and EA etc. Falcons in the last few years. I'm happy to have a go at answering any questions, so feel free to ask me.

I dont mind putting of the build for a little longer if it is required. I thought about a 7mgte but ive heard a few bad things about them. Maybe someone can advise if the are a strong motor. When it comes to the 1UZFE, it is an option but i would really like a turbo 6. Its a pity the later BA turbo 6 is so expensive as this would be a nice starting point as well.

Mrshin i will send u an email or pm soon.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

if u want the later ba turbo 6 then u might need about 10 g just for the enigne and ecu and wiring

anyhting newish htese days has major security so its a big job to wire all the exisitng ecus etc u also need the ford ba key and barrel and transducer around the key

i just did an au series 2 v8 into a transit van and had to wire in afew extra things

because the key the bcm and the ecu is a matched set so u basically need the enigne the ecu loom and the dash loom

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

does the EA use the C4 3 speed gaearbox? if so, dellow make a bellhousing to adapt the C4 to 1J. might help?

The EA series 1 which is what this is runs a 3 speed auto, not sure of the model details, while the series 2 switched to 4 speed. The 3 speed is also non-electronic where the 4 speeds were. It would seem a waste to burden a 1J with a 3 speed. But if one could use a 4 speed falcon v8 gearbox then maybe a bellhousing adapter this would be good as it would mean less hassle with mounting a toyota gearbox. Any thoughts?