Thread: W58 clutch install.

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Default W58 clutch install.

Hey there.

Im not far off installing the new clutch and plate to the 1GGTE. I was wondering if anyone wanted to outline some things which are worth doing while im at it, things to check, handy hints etc....

Im sure there is heaps of crew out there that have done this hundreds of times, im not one of them so if i could learn from your experiences and not make the same mistakes it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Default Re: W58 clutch install.

Check rear seal, change throw out bearing and put clutch in. Then bleed and change the clutch fuild and change the gearbox oil if you havnt done it for awhile!

Cool. The rear seal looks good. Ill use a new bearing as the other one was starting to struggle. Is there a particular type of grease that should be used on things like the input shaft ot the throwout fork pins and clips etc?

Thanks mate.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbl
    Cool. The rear seal looks good. Ill use a new bearing as the other one was starting to struggle. Is there a particular type of grease that should be used on things like the input shaft ot the throwout fork pins and clips etc?

Thanks mate.
    High temp grease and also make sure you clean out any crap that has built up in the bellhouse, otherwise it can get in the grease and make it abrasive.

Will do.
    When i align the pressure plate over the flywheel, does it matter where it sits in relation to the dowels. For example, the dowels are in a symetrical pattern, so i could theoretically bolt it up in three different locations to the flywheel. There doesn't appear to be any markings or reason to align it in any particular spot though?

Thanks for the help 'Kingmick'.

User Conversion King

alignment of PP doesnt matter. the PP's are balanced independantly...and so are the flywheel and clutch disk.

i would have your flywheel machined as well. especially is there are 'coloured' spots on the face.

the rear main seal may 'look' good but is there any oily residue behind the flex plate? if so, change it. i changed mine the other day and cost $13.

think thats about it anyway.

i had my 1g fly machined the other day and cost $57. the 1g flywheel step is 0.5mm so tell them that if you take it to be done.

also remember to wipe the anti-rust solvent off the PP and flywheel before you install. use petrol or degreaser but dont get any on the clutch disk.

you also might want to feel the spigot bearing and change it if its worn.
    hello