Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5ME -> 7MGE conversion in MA61?

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Question 5ME -> 7MGE conversion in MA61?

Hey guys/gals, I'm about to get an engine transplant in my MA61 84' Supra and I was looking for any extra info/tips that would help my mate with the conversion. He is a mechanic and has done conversions before but he wants to make sure this truly is a simple drop in job so I was wandering if anyone knew of any issues, however small, there may be with this conversion. The more we know, the easier the process will be and the quicker I can get my car back.

I've been doing a lot of reading around these forums lately but most of it seems to be for 7MGTE's. If you've put a 7MGE in an MA61 before or know of the details then please let me know. I would really appreciate it thanks.

PS, I already know about things like the sump and how I need a front sump (cressy 7M) and not the mid sump (supra 7M). I believe I've been told stock engine mounts should also fit. I'm not sure on the whole electronics aspect of the conversion though

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic haison's Avatar

Default Re: 5ME -> 7MGE conversion in MA61?

Umm... Only thing I can think of right now is that an oil filter re-location kit will be very handy. You will need a signal converter too for the tacho if he has a digi dash. Fan shroud will need to be modified. Dipstick location needs to be relocated too I think.
    That's all my hung-over and sleep-deprived brain can come up with right now.
    Hope it helps!

Edit: http://andy.supras.org.nz/ Not sure if you've seen this site. It's for the GTE but it's a very detailed write-up. I think Justcallmefrank wired up his 1ggte by using this as a basis.

Thanks haison, really appreciate the help

When you say, if he has a digi dash, you're talking about my digital dash in my MA61 correct? So if I get a cressida engine I will need the converter yes? Do you know whereabouts I can purchase one of these, thanks

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh

When you say, if he has a digi dash, you're talking about my digital dash in my MA61 correct? So if I get a cressida engine I will need the converter yes? Do you know whereabouts I can purchase one of these, thanks
    There is a circuit, in a thread talking about tachos that should work to get the stock MA61 dash working

You'll need to lengthen the alternator wiring (alt now on the other side of the engine).

The stock PS lines should work I'm pretty sure.

As for wiring, it might be an idea to trace back some of the wires back whilst the engine is in the car. Things like Tacho, Dash Water Temp...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh

James (Viper Nipplex) can make em.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic haison's Avatar

Lol sorry I didn't read right. I thought you were helping a friend do the conversion. Yeah Nipples is making kits so your digi tacho will work properly. MSD make one too I think but apparently they aren't that great. Something about it humming..

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

In that website Haison put up with Andys 7MGTE conversion, everything is pretty much the same as that conversion. Just follow that guide and ignore the turbo stuff and you'll be fine. Even most if not all the wiring diagrams will be useful to you.
    Use your old engine mounts, just bolt them to the forward locations, directly to the block. Not on top of anything, e.g AC compressor and support brackets.
    Drill a new oil dipstick hole in the front location and relocate the stock 7M oil dipstick (which comes out with a bit of hammering from underneath) to the forward location. Let me know what drill bit you end up using. I used a 10.5mm but that was a tad too big, should've used a 10.3mm or something so it was a snug fit.
    Then seal up the old hole with an old bolt and nut and a big nasty crush washer or something. I used a piece of soft lead that was handy at the time.
    Use the sump off the 5M, just strip the old gasket off, clean the surface, buy new gasket ($20), gasket goo, bolt on. Put the sump on before you put the flywheel on, or otherwise the baffles in the sump will interfere with the oil pump pick-up and you wont get the sump on.
    Use the oil pump out of your 5M. When i took mine out, i pulled it apart and checked that it was within spec provided in the TSRM. Replace crush washers if you pull it apart also. Take 7M oil pump out and the 5M pump bolts directly in.
    You dont really need a remote oil filter kit because its not a 7MGTE with the oil adapter thingy. The filter just bolts up directly against the block and clears everything unlike the 7MGTE gear.
    Unbolt the Fuel filter and bracket off the 5M and it directly bolts onto the 7M block and with a little persausion the brass fuel line bolts on top of the new fuel filter you've bought to replace the old cruddy one.

Thats it i think really, everything else is straight forward and i havnt gotten as far as wiring yet. Just remember to use some loctite on the bolts so they dont come undone!

Sam

Thanks guys especialy sam, really detailed stuff exactly what I was after

And I have done advanced soldering so if I can find that schematic and parts list I should have no worries making the tacho adaptor

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

use a gutted 12v relay coil, 1N4007, 2k2 or 2k7 1/4w resistor and a BC546(don't quote me on the transistor... ill confirm later)... if you want the circuit, i can email it to ya when im at work, as thats where i managed to inconvieniently save it

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

Are we sure the ge needs the adapter, I thought it was just the gte.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

if it has a single coil, shouldnt need one.

Well just incase I'll PM you my email address now, cheers

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

aren't the clutches different too? assuming this is manual of course.

i believe the 7mge has a bigger clutch, but if you've got an engine and gearbox then there isn't any issues there.
    beer me!

I believe all we are getting and swapping is the engine. I have a newer heavy duty clutch and I thought the engines just bolted straight on to a W57? Where abouts did you hear that someone had to change the gearbox?

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

parts catalogues, they list two clutches, the splines are the same, just the rest is bigger by about 15mm.
    beer me!