Thread: difficulty Manual conversion in late model chaser or aristo

Default difficulty Manual conversion in late model chaser or aristo

Hey guys, just looking for some advice.

i will be going to NZ hopefully next year for a year, with the intention of bringing back a personal import. probably a post-1996 1jZ chaser or aristo. i know these are hard to find in manual, (although i did find a 1996 manual turbo chaser on my last trip for $20 000 in christchurch, but no money then, or means to import...). so i am looking at paying for a conversion when i get back. is this reasonable? i wouldnt want to pay more than $3500. or should i just hang around in NZ till i find a manual?

by the way, has anyone seen how cheep those bloody kiwis are getting thier imports? we are getting jibbed!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: difficulty Manual conversion in late model chaser or aristo

Aristo and Chaser are auto-only. You'll only find a manual one if someone has already done a conversion for you, so don't count on finding another one.

$3500 for a conversion shouldn't be out of the question, especially if you buy an R154 and associated bits while you're in NZ and throw them in the boot. The main problem you're going to have is getting a suitable pedal box - you might be able to find some late-model Toyota with interchangeable pedals (Supra? Camry?) but I wouldn't have a clue what would fit.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: difficulty Manual conversion in late model chaser or aristo

[QUOTE=Norbie]Aristo and Chaser are auto-only. You'll only find a manual one if someone has already done a conversion for you, so don't count on finding another one.QUOTE]
    Only the Tourer V came in manual and are quite a rare find.

Either way a manual conversion can be done within your budget. Toyshop sell r154 manual conversion packages for i think $2800 or therabouts then all you need it a clutch booster, slave, and lines. Check thermactor for more info on manual conversions as its a road well traveled over there.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing