Thread: ke11 gearbox/motor options

Low rep

Default ke11 gearbox/motor options

Hey Guys im i have recently bought a 69 ke11 corolla 1200 and it has a bung gearbox , i have a ke70 at home with a 1.6 and i was wondering if i could easily fit the 4spd out of that into the ke11. Also wondering if its easy to upgrade the motor to a 3k or 4k im not sure about the motors fitting the crossmembers, im just new to toyota's. Help would be greatly appriciated!!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer dfunkt's Avatar

Default Re: ke11 gearbox/motor options

i'll start from the top.

the 1.6 in the ke70/ae71 is a 4AC i'm assuming. if so, the gearbox won't bolt up to it.
    if it's running a 4k (which is a 1.3) the gearbox will bolt up.
    all K series engines will bolt up to all K series gearboxes.
    any K engine except for the 7K will be a direct bolt in for the ke11. if you wish to fit a 7k, you will need to modify the sump and/or the engine crossmember.

Ninja Edit: the shifter location for the ke70 4spd/5spd gearboxes is further back (closer to the handbrake) than the 4/5spd gearboxes from the ke10-ke55.
    Owner of the Big Red Whale

Quote Originally Posted by Stomps
    "i cant eat this because its too spicy" "i cant eat that because it has green stuff in it" "i cant eat that because its chilli soup with Blair's Ultra Death Sauce in it"... winge winge winge...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

to add to that,
    you can swap the KE55 and KE70- 5 speed extension housings (only) to change the 5 spd shifter position.
    the KE30/KE55 middle shifter position will just abotu poke thru the tunnel hole of the AUTO KE1x

the manual KE1X has the forward shifter position, BUT, you can swap the shift rods and extension housing from the KE10 box into later 4 speed boxes.
    i've done that on KE20/30/70 boxes to fit the KE10 extension housing.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Low rep

Thanks so much guys i just checked the ke70 again and it has a 1.3 so im going to change the gearbox's over tonight , thanks for the quick replys too

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

the shifter will nto fit. you should probably change the extension housign and shift rods
    you need to change the shift rods because their ends are different, adn the shift mechanism in the extension housign is different.

unless you want to cut new hole in the tunnel?

also, the rear gearbox mount is different on the KE70. the KE10-KE55 has the same rear mount, but the KE70 one is different.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Low rep

ive pulled out both gearboxs and i can see what you mean now, can i use the parts i already have or do i need to get ke55 parts, im changing it from a manual ke11box to a manual ke70 box. i think i will need to get shorter bolts to bolt the ke11 rear housing aswell? thankyou for your kind help