Thread: 5V-EU - Lit'lphant

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default 5V-EU - Lit'lphant

I bought a 5V-EU from Yahoo Japan

I always (15 years or so) wanted one.....

I have some spare cash, and so I bought one. Not sure what it will end up in, or if it will ever run again.

Why might it not run? I'll need to remake ever gasket for it....... Yep, Toyota no longer show/service any gaskets for this engine, I've not found ANY gaskets for this, so disassembly will need to be done with extreme care so that I can make (have made) custom gaskets. Part of the reason I'm posting this build here is to open my potential parts availability to a new market - maybe someone on here knows of the parts, or knows someone who knows someone......

I have managed to find 2 pages on the "V" in a USA hemi book

I've contacted Castlemaine - they no longer offer anything for the "V" - I've also not manage to find Ian .....

... tipped the scales at approximately 250 pounds

250#s is roughly a complete 4AGE - again to be as accurate as I can be so far (without the engine here) I've found 130 kilos/286# list twice. That would be closer to a BEAMs. For perspective a 1UZ tips the scales around 161kilos/355#

So digging further, I found specifications listed in a few places........

Engine manufacturer Toyota
    Engine code 5V-EU
    Cylinders V 8 in 90° vee
    Capacity 4 litre 3994 cc (243.729 cu in)
    Bore × Stroke 87 × 84 mm 3.43 × 3.31 in
    Bore/stroke ratio 1.04
    Valve gear overhead valve (OHV)
    2 valves per cylinder
    16 valves in total
    maximum power output (JIS net) 164 PS (162 bhp) (121 kW) at 4400 rpm
    Specific output (JIS net) 40.6 bhp/litre 0.66 bhp/cu in
    maximum torque (JIS net) 289 Nm (213 ft•lb) (29.5 kgm) at 3600 rpm
    Specific torque (JIS net) 72.36 Nm/litre 0.87 ft•lb/cu3
    Engine construction light alloy head & block - reported to be 130 kilos
    sump wet sumped
    compression ratio 8.6:1
    Fuel system EFi
    bmep (brake mean effective pressure) 909.3 kPa (131.9 psi) (with a BMEP of 131 theres some serious room for improvement)
    Maximum RPM unknown… but hemi article alludes to a crank capable of 9000 rpm
    crankshaft bearings 5
    Engine coolant Water
    Unitary capacity 499.25 cc
    Aspiration Normal

I did manage to score a factory service manual.... and my new phone translates Japanese!!!

I've also manged to get the correct starter

I do NOT have a bell housing....... but adapters are not all that difficult to make/have made.

more to come......
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 5V-EU - Lit'lphant

What is the plan for the intake? The "T" bucket had adapted the intake to a 4 barrel. Sounds like a fun project Dan. What vehicle do you plan to install the little hemi in? Davew

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default Re: 5V-EU - Lit'lphant

Quote Originally Posted by davew7 View Post
    What is the plan for the intake? The "T" bucket had adapted the intake to a 4 barrel. Sounds like a fun project Dan. What vehicle do you plan to install the little hemi in? Davew
    Not entirely sure... I have read that the original 5V intake doesn't take to a carb well, something about some of the turns being too tight causing separation of the fuel air....??? I may keep the stock intake, and disguise it with a large air cleaner assembly somehow fashioned like it would be on a carb.

As to what I may put it in....I've had a LOT of ideas... from making a VE71 widebody, I also thought of a 1st gen Carina coupe(finding one??), another thought was an early 260Z.... and so far the out of the box idea... fitting it into a Maserati Bi-Turbo chassis
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!