Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bolting bits back together AKA engine rebuild questions

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default bolting bits back together AKA engine rebuild questions

hello everyone,
    well as some may know been rebuilding my 1GGTE
    and anyways, i get it back from engine shop on...early this week and before i bolt all those bits back together i have a multitude of questions!
    now, dad has done some rebuilds in his time..but i wanna double check his theories as he is a bit old and dated these days (god bless him tho )

now, hes said...wash of the coating on the bearings before you put them in...im down with that

and also, the next thing is he has this icky tube of thick black shit he calls graphite paste, and says bearings etc should be coated with that and then it gets flushed out once oil pressure buillds....is this true? does andrew need to use the icky black stuff?

hmm, that should do for now...ill ask more as i get the first questions answered...i have much repping power, so give me your best!

cheers guys, keen to hear what everyone has to say about anything i may need to know/do in the bolt it back together process...ta guys, andrew
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Default Re: bolting bits back together AKA engine rebuild questions

Asemble bearings with engine oil that intend on running, prime (fill) oil pump and filter when assembling, leave plugs out when fully assembled and wind over on starter until get good oil pressure, then put plugs in and fire up.
    But do use icky black stuff on cam lobes, would recomend Molly rather than graphite though.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

i dont put the moly lube on teh bearings. i use oil. however, i do put moly lube on things like the camshaft and other parts like that.

use plenty of oil on the rings and skirts of the pistons to keep them lubed. before you install the pistons, get some oil and rub it around all the bores...cover the complete bore with oil. this helps lube the bore and prtects it from surface rust.

get your oil pump and pack it full of vasaline. this "primes" the pump and makes it much easier to get oil pressure for that first start up.

the most important thing to remember.......the worst thing you can do to an engine is get it dirty, this will kill it. make sure your work are is always REALLY clean and so are you and your hands, keep all parts clean. if you get engine components dirty, they WILL damage the engine when you go to run it.

ive built over 30 LS1's at work and none of them have had any dramas. ive always followed these steps and its been all good.

take your time also, easy mistakes can be avoided if you stop and think
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

with the bearings, bear in mind that if you give them a coat of oil before the first prime/start up then this is the same as what the engine will see during its life (turn off engine, almost all of the oil drains to the sump)

and a big piece of advice is never put a bolt on unless you are going to torque it up to its final torque.

have you read up on running in theory yet? because cams and rings need different conditions to run in, and as far as i can figure can't really do both at the same time.
    Last edited by roadsailing; 15-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

yeah, ive read some on running in...its stock/preused cams im using so that shouldnt be an issue
    thanks all for the advice
    just a question on the priming oil pump...wtf? pack it full of vaseline...what does that do?
    seems crazy to me lol
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

dont worry, it wont harm it. the vas simply dissolves in the oil when it gets hot.

by packing the pump with vas, you are getting the pump to suck as soon as it is turning over. as the vas goes through it creates sort of a syphon effect and draws oil up through the pick up into the pump. im sure that if you didnt do that it would still be able to draw the oil up, but it takes alot longer and thats time that the engine is turning over with no pressure.

this procedure MUST be done on 304 and 308 holden engine, otherwise no oil pressure. believe me, i learnt. the hard way!
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

that! would explain why this engine ran for yonder 2 or 3 minutes before pissing oil out of a unblanked hole when i first got it running, i thought it must have had a blockage...but your probably right that it wasnt creating suction
    ta mate, ill mention it to dad and do it anyway

and just to clarify...so ashamed to be checking this
    the oil pump is that thingy in the back of the front cover of the engine, connected to one of those pulleys the timing belt turns...yes?

with the icky black stuff, and putting it on cams..just on the running surface or just on the lobes or both? and is there such a thing as too much?

thankyou all !!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Lukey-KE20's Avatar

Crank bearings (rod and mains) must be absolutely bone dry before installation. This actually refers to the outer part of the bearing that mates with the rod and block cradles. If they aren't dry there is a risk of spinning the bearing.

I make sure that I use latex surgical gloves when handlig these surfaces.

I also use assembly lube with moly-graphite from CRC.

Cheers
    Luke

im not 100% sure bout G series engine but on 4a, teh oil pump is the lower part of the front cover and slides over the crank. it is actually run directly of the crank shaft. there are no pullies.

maybe different on a G series tho

so what your saying lukey is to...clean it all uber clean and put beaings in place, then put use assembly lube on the friction side of things?
    makes sense to keep the side that sits still clean, thanks for that, another thing i woulda missed

slide, ill take a pic tomorrow, but i think we are talking about the same thing

p.s. 30 rep now lukey...well done chap!

the pump is the bit on the left, with the toothed pulley.

read the 1ggte oil pump wanted thread to see some sweet pics of an oil pump!

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    so what your saying lukey is to...clean it all uber clean and put beaings in place, then put use assembly lube on the friction side of things?
    makes sense to keep the side that sits still clean, thanks for that, another thing i woulda missed
    Yep - the outer bearing AND the cradles must be clean and dry.

You'll also find you put the bottom end together twice. You need to check the bearing clearances with plastiguage before final assembly.

On another note - yes the rep is coming along now thanks. One day I'll start a thread on my KE20s - all 3 of them.

Cheers
    Luke

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

so lukey, would you put the moly spooge on the bearings too or just the cams?
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

I use it on the bearings as well. The thing is, if there is no lube, crank bearing surfaces will run metal on metal at first startup.

Here is a reasonable summary of the process:

http://www.rpmrons.com/Rebuild.html