Thread: 4AGE cooling system - an observation

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default 4AGE cooling system - an observation

I am about to replace my radiator, as mine needs to be topped up every time i drive the car due to leaking. (big thanks for the rad Adam)

My radiator has a crack in the top tank due to my stupidly bending the fan guard until it came off, but recently the solder seam has been leaking, and the top tank has been bulging out as well. (i'm using a FWD 4AGE with a remote thermostat)

This made me consider what was going on, and i remembered that on my 4AGE the thermostat is beteeen the radiator ouitlet and the water pump, and in most cars it is between the watre pump outlet and the radiator.

5 minutes of googling reveals that all 4AGEs are like this, so i'm not too worried about it.

I was always of the opinion that the thermostat acted as a flow restriction, which created higher pressure in the block/head to cool better, and lower pressure in the radiator. looks like i was wrong.

I'm going to have a look at my 4AC waterpump, and a mate's RWD 4age and see how they are set up to see if they are any different.

Toymods Club Member #302 Backyard Mechanic hi-ace's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGE cooling system - an observation

Your thermostat is designed to restrict water flow to allow the engine to warm up faster and maintain a better running temp.
    If it feels good "DO IT" Unless it harms others.(or upsets the RTA)
    Enjoy what you have To Day,cause you can't take it with you.
    My old Hi-Ace