Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is TOYMODS affiliated with CAMS?

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Default is TOYMODS affiliated with CAMS?

hey guys,

just wondering above?

blake

Default Re: is TOYMODS affiliated with CAMS?

no

10 characters
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Junior Member Grease Monkey gurumaster22's Avatar

Couldn't find anything in the search, but what does a club require to be eligable for CAMS affiliation??

And just a general question..... Why is Toymods not part of CAMS, or are you looking into joining??
    Current - 1993 FZJ80 Landcruiser (Lifted, with all the usual off-road fruit)

Previous - 1985 AE86 - RIP (Now owned by psychofox), 1975 TA22, 1976 RA23, 1971 MS55 w/7MGE, 1989 R32 GTR

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

liability insurance and money??
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Costs are quite huge from memory when I was looking into it for the supra club.

There are only a handful of CAMS affiliated clubs in the country. Most are non-specific car clubs with very big member numbers.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Junior Member Grease Monkey rob-ae86's Avatar

this is brought up alot at the monthly meetings PM one of the board members to get a thorough explanation

Junior Member Grease Monkey gurumaster22's Avatar

Ok. Thanks guys.
    I expected it to be along those lines....

I hope to get to the december meeting, so I can join as a finacial member and have a talk to some of you in person...
    Current - 1993 FZJ80 Landcruiser (Lifted, with all the usual off-road fruit)

Previous - 1985 AE86 - RIP (Now owned by psychofox), 1975 TA22, 1976 RA23, 1971 MS55 w/7MGE, 1989 R32 GTR

Forum Member Domestic Engineer Nark's Avatar

From memory, it would be a huge cost to the club.

Plus it'd increase the membership fees by heaps. Not every Toymods member is after a CAMS licence.

There was talk about a racing-type membership for Toymods, but the numbers just didn't justify the spend.
    Max
    NB8B MX-5 | Fulcrum-tuned Tein SS coilovers | Weldwell Engineering 4 point Rollbar | DBA 4000 slotted rotors | Goodridge braided lines
    MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon | 2x ISOFIX seats | Iggle Piggle's blanket | Some breast milk stains

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Toyotacarclub.net is cams affiliated. If you just want to be a member of a cams affiliated club for getting a cams licence you can join as an associate member for $20.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

We are not with CAMS as when we were looking for insurance the restrictions that would have been placed on the club would have forced it to change the real aim of the club. We'd have to log event plans 6 weeks in advance and pay a specific premium for every event we run even simple cruises.

We have our public liability insurance through Australian National Street Machine Association. This suits the character of the club a lot better as it is very easy going and we can get coverage for basically anything if we make a proposal for it.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    Costs are quite huge from memory when I was looking into it for the supra club.

There are only a handful of CAMS affiliated clubs in the country. Most are non-specific car clubs with very big member numbers.

So all these clubs listed aren't affiliated then?
    http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=Clubs

being a member of a cams affiliated club costs me $40 a year and as far as I know they don't have to lodge any paper work for events which are basically cruises etc.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

MJH
    IT is hard for us to answer wether they are affiliated with Cams or not Without actually contacting the club itself.

But givin that thay are listed on the cams web site. That to me suggests that they are???
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M.J.H
    being a member of a cams affiliated club costs me $40 a year and as far as I know they don't have to lodge any paper work for events which are basically cruises etc.
    I believe that is a newer thing, where CAMS affiliation != CAMS insurance anymore. You can now just become a CAMS affiliated club without having to go through the rigmarole of having the CAMS insurance.

Maybe Toymods might want to check out the new rulings from CAMS on that one.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

CAMS has been introducing somesort of oversight to non-competitive events held by affiliated clubs:

(from a .doc on the marque sports car club in qld):
    Affordable CAMS cover for Non Competitive (Social) car club events.
    The CAMS membership identified the need for an additional Permit and associated covers, to complement the provisions which Clubs already receive with Affiliation.
    The CAMS Club Affiliation Fee includes Public Liability Insurance for activities which include committee and club meetings, social gatherings, fund raising activities, working bees and the like.

The Club Affiliation insurance component does not cover any club related activity that involves the use of a motor car (or any other type of vehicle used by the membership). There is a significant number of clubs whose activities are based on social activities including social runs. These clubs traditionally conduct social runs on public roads, their vehicles are road registered (thus covered by state personal accident insurance) and the majority are covered by comprehensive insurance policies.

However, car club activities that make use of club member’s cars that involve the use of local government assets (parks, ovals, community recreation areas etc.) are increasingly being asked to demonstrate public liability insurance in order to indemnify a local government entity and its ratepayers, from being exposed to any form of risk.

There have also been occasions where the general community has made contact with a State Office, involving both positive and negative issues, in attempts to make contact with a club or those responsible for an activity that in some way has aroused their attention.

Having a pro-forma document that has been completed in a way that enables the CAMS administration to identify an event will prove an increasingly valuable and responsible procedure for all parties concerned.

Thus, the “Permit to Conduct a Club Social (Non Competitive) Event” was developed to resolve this and any other situation that could arise as a consequence of a public liability claim that could evolve out of a club based social activity involving road registered club cars.

It must be emphasised that Clubs are not obliged to acquire and use a “Permit to Conduct a Club Social (Non Competitive) Event” for use with activities on public roads that involve road registered vehicles.

This Permit is not available for use by anyone wanting to conduct a commercial activity and/or an activity that is aimed at attracting a significant level of involvement with the general public.

The new Permit carries an administrative fee, based upon participation by up to fifty (50) vehicles, of $50.00 for the first day and then $25.00 per day thereafter for events of multiple days.

The fee for an event wanting to cater for a larger number of participating cars will have to be negotiated with your CAMS State Manager.

Events that make use of the new Permit cannot be used for any speed(dynamic) related activity, as the Permit only covers activities which must comply with the current road traffic laws and the motor vehicle registration and driver License requirements of the State in which the activity is being conducted.

Such events will not have recourse to the CAMS Judicial system.
    so it's really aimed at club events that involve the general public somehow or hire a pblic place like a park or a showground.

The underlined bit suggests it's not for simple cruises.

whether it's another CAMS shakedown for more cash or well intentioned provision of some kind of explanded coverage is up to others to comment on.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Oh what's this I've got the 2007 CAMS memebrship forms in front of me (Just completed for ToyotaCarClub.net and faxed in:

Cost:
    1-40 members $264
    41-100 members $462
    101-200 members $660
    2001+ members $958

(note these costs are for proper paying memebers only, eg not or every forum member and his dog)

The application is then voted on and passed and your a member of CAMS.

Oh the other condition is that your car club is a registered business, not sure how Toymods firs on this front?

Cheers
    Jordan