Thread: JZZ30 1JZGTE Fan Clutch Issues

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default JZZ30 1JZGTE Fan Clutch Issues

Have an issue with the fan clutch in my JZZ30 which is driving me crazy.

Driving the car on any day and in any weather, the fan clutch after a few mins (15 mins or so) kicks in and fails to disengage, obviously robbing the car of power/fuel and sounding like a 747 taking off.
    Even driving on a freeway at 100km/h at sub 20 degrees the fan clutch is engaged and you can hear it spinning, worsens when you jump off the freeway and sit waiting at lights.
    With the car turned off the fan clutch is hard to spin, starting the car you can hear it engaged and then disengages around 30-60 secs later, normal behavior. It then stays disengaged until the temp in the engine bay begins to rise and then bang engaged constantly.

Have an inter-cooler in front of the radiator and the AC radiator as well, radiator shroud inside engine bay is still in place.

I have replaced the thermostat with 3 types (factory, TRD (72 degree) and after market), new after market radiator for a JZZ30, new water temp sensor and ECT sensor, new radiator cap and 3 different fan clutches
    (a new Dayco & a new one from driftmotion https://www.driftmotion.com/2JZ-GTE-...h-p/dm1961.htm as well as a second hand one).

After all the above the fan clutch is still engaging as described above. Looking at the temp gauge, ODB1 output and on after market computer the fan clutch is kicking in and the engine temperature is only around 80 degrees?

Anyone have any ideas they can throw. The water pump was bought new from Toyota around 10 years back, and the car has only done around 10000km since it was replaced.

Have also pressure tested the radiator and cooling system, no leaks. When filling the radiator I am using the below to ensure that i am bleeding the unit or air:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-S.../dp/B001A4EAV0

Confirmed that the smaller thermo fan on the radiator is working as well.

Cheers,

Fabian.

Default Re: JZZ30 1JZGTE Fan Clutch Issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACx7GTCn7Y
    Try doing this. lots of people have good luck with Radio control car silicone diff oil, about 7000cst.

Thanks alcyon, tried doing that with the old fan clutch. Used original Toyota silicone oil, about 40ml. With the engine off the fan would spin freely around 4-5 times, which I read that it should not rotate more than once or something like that. It also did not engage fully like it use to in the past. Car would run at about 95-97 degrees Celsius with the rebuilt fan clutch in it.

What would be the normal operating temps for the car?

yes that would seem to be a little too easy to spin. perhaps you did not fill enough of oil ?
    I am really unsure about coolant temp, but 95 to 97C seems about right. Also If I am not mistaken there should be a thermal tab in front of the clutch housing that adjusts when the clutch engages.
    http://neuralfibre.com/paul/2009/03/...us-fan-clutch/