Thread: Supercharged vs turbo 4age

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Supercharged vs turbo 4age

Hi

Supercharged vs turbocharge 4AGE or 7AGE, nothing specific about hp or torque just getting an idea of what people did or wished they did. i have a 7AGE and cant decide on what type of forced induction i want, 230hp i my minimum goal. all opinions welcome.

Thanks

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharged vs turbo 4age

You can get really good response with modern turbos if they're moderately sized.
    I wouldn't choose a supercharger for a 4age, but thats my opinion. For a high-revving engine, I want it to make its power up high.
    If thats only 230hp at the engine, you could probably make that with something as small as a GT2554R which should have awesome response on a 7age.
    look at turbo options on the garret site https://www.turbobygarrett.com
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks, iv heard the Garretts have a bit if lag to them, is this true?

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

depends which turbo. Apparently the newer GTX Gen II are heaps better though.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Turbo. Borg warner efr6258

i've done turbo and s/c. turbo is better bang for buck but ultimately its a personal choice (unless you are trying to win races)
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I've had a 4AGZE for years. The advantages are that it is essentially a stock motor, so somewhat less messing around to get it in and running. It also makes torque from the basement, put your foot down at 1500rpm and you have boost. Peak torque for me was 3200rpm form memory. Enough power to be fun (110rwkw) but it didn't set the world on fire.

A well selected turbo will definitely make more power, and with modern designs should have minimal lag. But the low RPM response will still be missing.

Horses for courses. Try and drive a few and see what you like.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hen View Post

It also makes torque from the basement, put your foot down at 1500rpm and you have boost. Peak torque for me was 3200rpm form memory. Enough power to be fun (110rwkw) but it didn't set the world on fire.

A well selected turbo will definitely make more power, and with modern designs should have minimal lag. But the low RPM response will still be missing.

Horses for courses. Try and drive a few and see what you like.

a 4AGZE I built for a client a few years ago.....

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

I've had both for years and love either platform. Kind of depends on what the car is used for IMO.

The gt2554r Adam mentioned above is an animal, spool is that of a supercharger. On my 4ag though it came in just under 200rwhp/315nm (basically a stock 4agze smallport), so the bigger displacement of the 7ag might just give you the HP you're after plus the response of a supercharger anyways.

OST.. how did that thing go with the 82mm bore? Hold up fine? No issues with cooling?

I see you're in Wellington. Maybe a good chat with Barry Manon from MRP is in order, he'll steer you in the right direction plus be able to supply you with everything you need.
    Last edited by feral4mr2; 13-09-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2 View Post
    I've had both for years and love either platform. Kind of depends on what the car is used for IMO.

The gt2554r Adam mentioned above is an animal, spool is that of a supercharger. On my 4ag though it came in just under 200rwhp/315nm (basically a stock 4agze smallport), so the bigger displacement of the 7ag might just give you the HP you're after plus the response of a supercharger anyways.

OST.. how did that thing go with the 82mm bore? Hold up fine? No issues with cooling?

I see you're in Wellington. Maybe a good chat with Barry Manon from MRP is in order, he'll steer you in the right direction plus be able to supply you with everything you need.

none that I've heard of... but the client is half way around the world. 82mm on a 7 rib block isn't usually a problem
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!