Thread: 2JZ-GTE VVTi into JZS171 Crown Estate - FPC and DI to FC and FPR

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2JZ-GTE VVTi into JZS171 Crown Estate - FPC and DI to FC and FPR

Hello All,

I know this has been covered many times in the past, but I have a slightly more specific question.
    I’m swapping a 1999 JZS161 VVTi 2JZ-GTE into my 2002 JZS171 Crown Estate.
    The question relates to JZS161 FPC + DI Engine ECU pins and JZS171 FC (G-Y on the diagram) + FPR (B-R on the diagram) Engine ECU Pins.

The JZS161 FPC and DI pins are in the same position as the JZS171 FC and FPR pins.

This is my understanding of what the pins are / what they do:

FPC - Fuel Pump Control - PWM output from JZS161 Engine ECU to Fuel Pump Control ECU
    DI - Fuel Pump Control ECU - 12V Input to JZS161 Engine ECU from Fuel Pump Control ECU

FC - Circuit Opening Relay Trigger - Ground for the JZS171 Engine ECU to energize the Circuit Opening Relay.
    FPR - Fuel Pump Relay - Ground for the JZS171 Engine ECU to energize Fuel Pump Relay.

As I understand from HERE and HERE I can use the JZS161 Engine ECU pin: FPC with an RC circuit to trigger the JZS171 Circuit Opening Relay (COR) through what was initially the JZS171 FC wire. There is mention that JZS161 Engine ECU Pin: DI will most likely need to see 12v to output a signal on FPC though.

So, can I simply connect the JZS171 FPR pin to the JZS161 Engine ECU DI pin to earth the Fuel Pump Relay and provide 12V to DI at the same time?

Any help would be just great.

Cheers – Ben.
    Last edited by jzmx32; 11-09-2018 at 03:47 PM.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ-GTE VVTi into JZS171 Crown Estate - FPC and DI to FC and FPR

Looking at your JZS171 diagram the circuit opening relay is activated by being earthed by the ecu pin FC and the higher speed of the fuel pump is activated by the ecu earthing the fuel pump relay via the FPR pin, To make it work at full speed you have to earth the circuit opening relay as well as the fuel pump relay . I used the Fuel Pump Control from the JZS161 which has 6 connectors and controls the fuel pump speed via the earth wire with a constant 12v in the positive wire to the fuel pump. Part number 89570-30180
    Jealousy is a curse

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Interesting project!

As I'm sure it's not a small task, I'm curious as to why you'd go to the effort of this conversion?
    There's not much you can do with a 2J that you can't do with a 1J...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by madmont View Post
    Looking at your JZS171 diagram the circuit opening relay is activated by being earthed by the ecu pin FC and the higher speed of the fuel pump is activated by the ecu earthing the fuel pump relay via the FPR pin, To make it work at full speed you have to earth the circuit opening relay as well as the fuel pump relay . I used the Fuel Pump Control from the JZS161 which has 6 connectors and controls the fuel pump speed via the earth wire with a constant 12v in the positive wire to the fuel pump. Part number 89570-30180
    Madmont - G'Day, Thanks for the reply, as you can probably tell wiring diagrams are not exactly my cup of tea.

Good pick up on the COR being earthed through the 171 FC Pin, guess it's pointless me supplying 12V to that pin of the relay...

What if I go JZS161 Engine ECU FPC Pin to Wilbo's RC circuit to COR Pin 1 and earth COR Pin 2?

Then earth the Fuel Pump Relay pin 2 to the JZS161 Engine ECU DI Pin?

What's the go with the high and low-speed operation of the fuel pump?
    Does the 171 COR power the fuel pump through the Fuel pump Resistor for low-speed operation, then the Engine ECU earths the Fuel Pump Relay for full speed operation?

Could I just Bypass the Fuel Pump Resistor?

I'd like to avoid using a Fuel Pump Control ECU if possible, although they do seem to be reasonably cheap and plentiful, so may go that route if I can't figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    Interesting project!

As I'm sure it's not a small task, I'm curious as to why you'd go to the effort of this conversion?
    There's not much you can do with a 2J that you can't do with a 1J...

Egamirorrim, purely doing this for the fun of the conversion. Definitely could have just put the money into the 1J and made some good power, but I like the idea of a manual 2J wagon.

Cheers,

Ben.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

You had me at "manual"

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jzmx32 View Post

What if I go JZS161 Engine ECU FPC Pin to Wilbo's RC circuit to COR Pin 1 and earth COR Pin 2?

Then earth the Fuel Pump Relay pin 2 to the JZS161 Engine ECU DI Pin?

What's the go with the high and low-speed operation of the fuel pump?
    Does the 171 COR power the fuel pump through the Fuel pump Resistor for low-speed operation, then the Engine ECU earths the Fuel Pump Relay for full speed operation?
    You should have the ECU control the COR
    If you earth pin 2 on the F/PUMP relay this will give you high speed all the time without the option of a slow speed.
    If you want 12v to D1 connect it to MREL
    Last edited by madmont; 03-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    Jealousy is a curse

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

jzmx32 - cool project and would be keen on you sharing information on the manual conversion

Quote Originally Posted by madmont View Post
    You should have the ECU control the COR
    If you earth pin 2 on the F/PUMP relay this will give you high speed all the time without the option of a slow speed.
    If you want 12v to D1 connect it to MREL
    Thanks for the help madmont,

Looks like I misunderstood how the RC circuit worked. It actually provides an earth to trigger the fuel pump relay rather than 12v. ECU now controls the COR again.

So to get it running:

Wire the RC circuit between Engine ECU FPC pin and pin 2 of the COR.
    Earth Pin 2 of the Fuel Pump Relay.
    Send 12v from MREL / IG to Engine ECU DI pin.

It fired up like this and the fuel pump stopped when I unplugged the ignitor.

Thanks again mate- Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by big_zop View Post
    jzmx32 - cool project and would be keen on you sharing information on the manual conversion
    Cheers big_zop, anything in particular you'd like to know?

Double post
    Last edited by jzmx32; 08-09-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Double post

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Was just more for interest sakes as I know these don't come with a manual option so keen to see what you had to do to get a pedal setup in there plus any tips (like if you found a factory tailshaft that fit, etc).

Put some info in HERE