Thread: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Question W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

I'm contemplating adapting a W50 to replace the T50 in an AE86. Having had a read thru the old W5* to 4AGE thread, I see that everyone was bagging the Dellows bellhousing as being a piece of ship. Is that still the case, as after a pretty thorough dredge thru the interwebs I have not been able to find anyone else who makes a bellhousing adapter for this swap. Note W50 not W55-58.

So if you have recent first hand experience with Dellows adapters, please let me have the good/bad news And of anyone has an old W50>4AGE adapter taking up space in their shed and want it gone... let me know the details and post a pic.

Cheers... jondee86

Arrow Re: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

Well, after first claiming that they could supply a W50>4AGE adapter, under questioning, Dellows broke down and confessed that they actually couldn't make one. So it seems their reputation is well earned.

But I'm still interested in the possibility of doing this conversion. So if anyone has an adapter that is surplus to requirements, can make one or if you know someone who has one for sale, let me know.

Cheers... jondee86

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Default Re: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

Oh no! I literally threw my BRD one out at the scrapheap today. I posted on the Toymods FB group but no one wanted it.

Unhappy Re: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

Oh well... thems the breaks... if its gone its gone. Did you actually use the adapter? And if so, what did you have to do to get it to fit on a 4AGE bell? Do you recall how thick the plate was... and steel I guess? I'm thinking of making something along the lines of the BRD plate, so any input welcome.

Cheers... jondee86

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

sq makes one of these, im pretty sure hes in Melbourne, good guy, well from my quick chat with him regarding wiring gear

http://www.sq-engineering.com/4age-t...apter-kit.html

Lightbulb Re: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

Yeah.... nah... his one works with W55, W56, W57 and W58, but the W50 is a completely different housing shape, and does not work. I already asked him if he had anything for the W50 but he doesn't do one. In fact, as far as I can find out from many hours trawling the interwebz, the BRD plate is the only product that even comes close.

Theirs is designed for W50 to 2t/3T bell (to replace a T50) and when I asked them if it would work with the 4AGE the guy said no. However, I believe that with a bit of bodge work it might be able to be used. But apart from the measuring it doesn't look like a hard thing to make, so I am heading off down that path

Cheers... jondee86

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Hey mate - I never used the adapter (it was for a 2T/3T) so perhaps it wouldn't work with the 4AGE? It changes the bellhousing so I would have thought it you had a T50 bellhousing that fit a 4AGE you would be able to use that. It was 6mm steel. I can shoot you a picture of it if you want.

Smile Re: W50 to 4AGE... what's the go ?

If it was like the one shown on the BRD website ..
    http://www.brdracing.com/images/driv...50_adapter.jpg
    ... then you have to do a fair bit of grinding on the bell to get it to fit. I plan on making an improved version that will fit without grinding. But until I get hold of the W50 and a spare 4A bell, I can't measure anything and see what is possible.

I'd like to avoid any grinding of the bell if possible. They are getting quite hard to find and it would be better not to ruin one for the conversion. It's going to take a while to get a prototype made. Fortunately my T50 is still hanging together, so no big hurry at the moment

Thanks for the info... cheers... jondee86

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

you could get away with making an upgrade kit!! hire a engineers brain for an hour or two to make up a .DXF file then go to town on a cnc plasma cutter!
    keep this thread posted on the makings of!!

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Old thread but I've been working on an adaptor to put a w50 with an 18rc bell housing behind a 4age, So far so good the clutch cylinder and stater motor is moved to the right-hand side (intake side) I used a starter from a 7Afe, just working on the clutch and pressure plate. I'm also 99% certain it will also work with the later w55 gearbox, which is commonly found in a Hilux behind the 22r engine.