Thread: Need a replacement fuel pump for my 1984 Tarago R20/R30 2.0 diesel (2C engine)

Forum Member

Default Need a replacement fuel pump for my 1984 Tarago R20/R30 2.0 diesel (2C engine)

Hello!! Sorry that my first post is seeking help from the forum
    After a few happy months together, my 1984 Tarago R20/R30 diesel has sadly, suddenly decided to not start! The 2.0 litre 2C diesel engine turns over as enthusiastically as ever, but there's just no bite anymore
    I checked the fuel line into the fuel filter and it would appear that there's no fuel getting to the filter, and therefore the engine. I replaced the fuel filter shortly after getting the Tarago, and it ran fine before and after. I can't hear any fuel pump clicking when the ignition is switched on either. All of which leads me to suspect that the fuel pump is either clogged or, more likely, dead.
    I've looked on the internet and checked with the usual car spares chains, but I cannot seem to find a replacement pump. I also cannot find any 2C engine Toyotas at breakers yards. Has anyone got any suggestions where I could find a replacement fuel pump (new or used)?
    Also, I can't find any hatch to access the fuel pump / tank, so I presume that it will be a tank-out job to check and replace?
    Thanks for help in advance!

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: Need a replacement fuel pump for my 1984 Tarago R20/R30 2.0 diesel (2C engine)

Any chance the timing chain it cactus. I know on my ford it runs the pump off the cams.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Need a replacement fuel pump for my 1984 Tarago R20/R30 2.0 diesel (2C engine)

Are you talking about dropping the tank to replace the diesel pump? Old diesels have engine mounted pumps run by a belt or gear.

I think they usually run a solenoid in the pump too, which blocks all fuel flow unless ignition is on. If there is zero flow, maybe the solenoid is cactus, or its control wire has broken/fallen off.

The symptoms may also point to bad glow plugs. Unlikely they all failed at once, but maybe their power wire broke/fell off. Check that they are getting power when you switch the ignition on.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hen View Post
    Are you talking about dropping the tank to replace the diesel pump? Old diesels have engine mounted pumps run by a belt or gear.

I think they usually run a solenoid in the pump too, which blocks all fuel flow unless ignition is on. If there is zero flow, maybe the solenoid is cactus, or its control wire has broken/fallen off.

The symptoms may also point to bad glow plugs. Unlikely they all failed at once, but maybe their power wire broke/fell off. Check that they are getting power when you switch the ignition on.
    Wish my diesel had these problems, mine was timing belt.
    Sad and expensive fix.