Thread: 1G GTE o2 sensor - problems with Amayama

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1G GTE o2 sensor - problems with Amayama

Hello there fellow Toyota fans.
    I have a 3rd gen 1g gte, and in need of a o2 sensor, from toyodiy, I find that the part number is
    89465-29256 ,which is applicable from March 89.
    When I placed an order with Amayama on the 31st, it was shown as in stock on their website. Upon checking the status of my order today, they said my order is cancelled as it is unavailable.
    It seems they have part 89465-29255, which is appliclble from 1/88 to 3/89.
    Can this older sensor be used on my engine , and if its a yes or a no, what is the difference between these 2 sensors, what changes were made between these 2 sensors?
    Also, are there any other 3 wire o2 sensors that is electrically performing the same function (same heater temp and duration, o2 range reading) ,even if the mounting or plugs arent the same (which i can fab up).

I tried www.JP-carparts.com and its not available there too.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1G GTE o2 sensor - problems with Amayama

It's really just speculation, but all of the toyodiy listings end up pointing to 89465-29255 via diagram 84-01 and has an end date into mid 1990 which suggests to me that it suits the gen three. Not a cheap gamble and I'm not sure what your alternative is though.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

check service manual for test specs (resistance etc) and see if the years are different?

the 02 signal will be basically same. reach of the sensor may be different? but not a big deal
    the heater resistance may be different.
    plug or wire length may be different

realistically, if power to the heater is provided by a relay.. then heater current is not a big deal.

by adding another (separate) earth wire (for the sensor, not the heater), you can probably run a 4 wire sensor too..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    check service manual for test specs (resistance etc) and see if the years are different?

the 02 signal will be basically same. reach of the sensor may be different? but not a big deal
    the heater resistance may be different.
    plug or wire length may be different

realistically, if power to the heater is provided by a relay.. then heater current is not a big deal.

by adding another (separate) earth wire (for the sensor, not the heater), you can probably run a 4 wire sensor too..
    Thanks oldcorollas.
    Indeed, what worries me the most is the heater voltage/resistance. As you said, since the sensor is measuring the difference between inside and outside o2 levels, then by right, all narrowband o2 sensors will give the same voltage output(0.1V-0.9V, 0.45 stoic) , which only leaves the heater temp as the last variable (not counting the mechanical issues like length,reach and wire lengths).
    I wonder if the 1jz one uses the same heater rating. Anyway I will have a look at the wiring diagram that I have stashed away somewhere. Also, am i right to say that the heater polarity does not matter, since both heater wires are black ?
    I also really wonder why the 7mGTE o2 sensor isn't the same part.
    I have a nagging feeling this https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=17895 will work...
    Last edited by alcyon; 05-06-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

yup, and heater resistance is only really an issue if the full current grounds through the ECU, or needs a specific resistance to avoid a check engine light.
    but i'd be tempted to just run a relay for the heater power, then doesn't matter how much current it draws..

yes, all narrow band sensors of this type have same output..

no heater polarity, it doesn't care.

had a look in bosch, denso and hella catalogues (online).. nothing specific for 1ggte.. but the 7MGTE is a single wire (same as all 4A engines) and the 2JZGTE supra is a 4 wire

yer, a universal 3wire should be fine, and 4wire can be used if you run a ground wire for the sensor, to the grounding point of the ECU
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Denso 234-3050 ordered, hopefully I will receive it next week. I will update on how it goes. Fairly certain it is compatible.

The sensor body is shorter by 15mm, i wonder if it will affect the reading of the sensor. The rear of the sensor still clears the heat shield though....