Thread: 1G-GTE Direction Suggestions

Forum Member

Default 1G-GTE Direction Suggestions

Good Afternoon all. I have a 1988 Soarer here in the states with a 1G-GTE in it, which was never sold here. Car runs good when I got it but the turbo in the rear was completely toast so I went single 30r and a new exhaust manifold with an external gate. I also replaced the factory fiber head gasket with a 1G-FE MLS head gasket and 2JZ ARP main studs for head studs. I also ditched the factory intake and butterfly secondaries setup for a FFIM with a 75mm throttle body. Everything else is stock inside the head and bottom end but everything outside is modded to work better or make more power including a standalone ECU setup.

My main question is where to start with boost, what can the 1G take without breaking immediately and still be reliable. My thoughts so far is to start at 14psi on pump gas and work up from there and go E85 at some point.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1G-GTE Direction Suggestions

1G performance parts can be a bit limited and as much as my 1GGZE is fun, you might be better off getting a 1JZGTE. A bit newer and a lot more parts.

That said, plenty of people on here are making decent power on stock internals with a modern single turbo.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forums/47-Dyno-Results

This is not a bad place to start. Just search the forums for 1ggte. Lots of people have them with single conversions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    1G performance parts can be a bit limited and as much as my 1GGZE is fun, you might be better off getting a 1JZGTE. A bit newer and a lot more parts.

That said, plenty of people on here are making decent power on stock internals with a modern single turbo.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forums/47-Dyno-Results

This is not a bad place to start. Just search the forums for 1ggte. Lots of people have them with single conversions.

Most of the performance mods I have made myself or made from some other engine model. I am trying to post a picture but the site keeps saying it fails to upload. At some point I will go 2JZ but for now the 1G is my interest.

Load your image up to something like IMGUR and use the forum links they provide.

Lots of folk on here over the years getting over 200kW out of 1ggtes.

Lots of gen one and two celicas on here with 1ggte in various configurations. Go have a dig through the members rides forum as well.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Good to see the 1G GTE getting some attention, are you on the z20 FB group ?

Forum Member

Load your image up to something like IMGUR and use the forum links they provide.

Lots of folk on here over the years getting over 200kW out of 1ggtes.

Lots of gen one and two celicas on here with 1ggte in various configurations. Go have a dig through the members rides forum as well.
    I am hoping to make over 300kw as you guys measure it or at least 400HP, if I dont I will spray nitrous until it does.

Quote Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
    Good to see the 1G GTE getting some attention, are you on the z20 FB group ?

I am on the international group and the US group. I like this engine, it has its downfalls like anything else but I like it.

At those sort of power levels you are going to need to make additional mods. Changes to oil flow to avoid spun bearings is one I'm sure I've read about. There is information here that you should search for. It's a big ask (and likely cost) to get that power out of a 1g. But I'm really keen to see how you go.

Forum Member

At those sort of power levels you are going to need to make additional mods. Changes to oil flow to avoid spun bearings is one I'm sure I've read about. There is information here that you should search for. It's a big ask (and likely cost) to get that power out of a 1g. But I'm really keen to see how you go.
    It is not so much a oil pressure problem as it is a volume problem. If I get low on oil level then the chance of spinning a bearing is super high and I have taken precaution with that by adding an oil cooler out front. Keeps the oil cooler and adds some capacity even if it is slight.