Thread: 4age swap to carina AA60

Forum Member

Default 4age swap to carina AA60

hey everyone! I'm planning on swapping a silvertop to a carina aa60. the car currently has a 3a-u motor and a t40 gearbox, so I wanted to know a few things before I got started, your help is much appreciated. thanks guys
    1. does the t40 fit the silvertop direct?
    2. are shackle mounts good enough to mount the engine? or is there an easier way?
    3. I'll be getting velocity stacks so i wouldn't have a problem with the intake would i?
    4. is there anything i should look out for? any difficulties in the swap?
    again, thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Fresh Prince; 11-04-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Default Re: 4age swap to carina AA60

1. 3A bell housing does not bolt up to a 4A engine. You will need to find a 4A bell housing to suit the T40 gearbox.
    2. Pass
    3. If you mean that you want to use open velocity stacks without the airbox, then you will need to convert to a MAP sensor engine computer as the ST uses a MAF system which nees the factory airbox to work.
    4. You will need to upgrade to an EFI fuel system with high pressure pump and return line. Also convert the engine to a RWD style coolant piping system along the lines of the conversion kit available from SQ Engineering. Make sure you have sufficient space for the distributor to clear the firewall, and make sure that you get the engine wiring loom and all sensors/accessories with the engine, or you will spend a lot of time looking for the missing parts.

Cheers... jondee86

Forum Member

thanks a lot for your response
    1. i have a fwd gearbox off a blacktop, do you think i can cut the bolt pattern and weld it on to the t40? just in case i'll have trouble finding a bell housing or if it costs a fortune
    3. yes the car will be wired to run a MAP sensor
    4. about the coolant piping system, i've heard that the 3a piping bolts on to the 4a, is that true? if not i could get custom piping done. if the distributor doesn't clear the firewall, ill be cutting a hole in it or just smash it out. And the silvertop has a complete engine wiring loom and all the sensors and ecu so thats not a problem

Cheers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

I'm in New Zealand so not really up to speed with the availability of 4AGE > T-Series bell housings, but Australia got the Sprinter with a 4AC and T50 so bell housings are not hard to find. However, if Western Province means that you are in South Africa, then yeah, you probably can cut and weld. But you better have access to a milling machine and some means of making sure the flange is accurately positioned on the bell. The alignment has to be spot on if you don't want vibration problems.

The old school way of hooking up the cooling system involved running two external pipes from the radiator down the exhaust side of the engine to connect to the OEM 20V water outlets. Looks a bit rude but gets the job done for not much monay. Newer systems convert the 20V to something much like the 16V system for more money. Plenty of information and pics on the interwebs, you just need to decide how much trouble you want to go to on the cooling side.

Pretty sure that your 3A water bits won't be much use on a 20V.

Cheers... jondee86