Thread: 18R-C - tappets noisy after being correctly adjusted..??

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18R-C - tappets noisy after being correctly adjusted..??

Took my RA40 to mech to 'adjust' tappet noise out.

After resetting all tappets "according to the manual" [OEM Toyota 18R manual which I supplied him] the tappet noise is, if anything, worse than before.

He blithely says "change the oil".

So what has/can/probably will have worn enough to allow this, or is he doing something wrong?

Is it time for a head rebuild?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 18R-C - tappets noisy after being correctly adjusted..??

Almost anything in the valvetrain can cause tappet type noise. Oil change is the quickest and easiest thing to do.

Could also be wear to cam lobes, blocked/poor oil circulation in the head, valve wear.

Do the oil change maybe some kind of flush (unless you've inspected the head and oil ports already and they are good).

If no good, then consider pulling the head for inspection of valvetrain against specs. (maybe bite the bullet and do an engine transplant, either reco engine or conversion).

Yeah, figured it would come to that. The PO claimed the bottom end was rebuilt and the head was "done" at the same time. My guess is not well, or not more than a clean.

I'd like to repower, but not with a modern engine, as I want to keep it 'period accurate' so will keep my eyes peeled for an 18R-G.

In the meantime, will try an oil change and some flushing and see if it helps.

At least taking the head off will enable me to fit stainless steel valve seats so I can run unleaded without having to use anti-recession additive all the time.

Will also look at headers and a re-tune of the 32/36 it already has.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

no alloy headed toyota engine needs "anti-recession" additive... from the 1960's onwards

also, if they adjusted clearance to the top of the range (to allow for wear), then it will be noisier than if adjusted to bottom of the spec...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

As far as I'm aware, the 18R-C is an iron head motor.

Head rebuilder guy looked at it yesterday and reckons it might be a cup in the end of one of the tappets, (pretty sure it's just one noisy one), so the feeler gauge is bridging the cup, giving a false read, hence making the gap a cuppla thou out of whack.

He's quoted me a $1K to rebuild, including stainless valves, valve seats on the exhaust side, new seals, gaskets and labour, drive in drive out.

Reckon that's a good deal, as my local mechanic quoted me "around $1500".

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

If you are keeping it original, that sounds like a deal.....err umm err cough 18rg.

LOL. Yeah, would love an 18R-G. But finding one is the issue. Further, finding one in good nick that hasn't been flogged within an inch of its life, requiring an expensive rebuild. Remember, I'm not a mechanic, and have two left thumbs.

I once had to ask on a forum how to change the front pads on my '96 Rolla....Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it, until someone pointed out the 'obvious'. Took me five minutes after that. lol 😳 😳

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Sorry, wasn't aware the -c was iron head.

here suggests..
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/eng18r.htm
    The single cam versions without hardened valve seats (18R, 18R-B) should use leaded fuel.
    The single cam versions with hardened valve seats (18R-U, 18R-C) can use unleaded fuel.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

oc that's interesting, I'd not read that before, but the engine / head reconditioners told me that R-C motors have incredibly hard plain iron seats, so that may be why.

I'm still using Anti-Valve Recession additive - just to be on the safe side - but figure if I have to have the head off to refurb the valves etc, might as well install specifically-hardended valve seats so I then *know* it's OK to use straight unleaded.

Just had a quote from Tighe for $320 exchange for their 490B grind cam, which Darren reckons is the best option for what I have/am adding and my regular usage. Sort of "fast road" cam.

I have the Weber 32/36 (well, an FAJB copy anyway) and will be also adding a set of free-flowing headers to replace the factory manifolds.

That's probably about all it's worth doing on an R-C without spending huge dollars and building something that's 'race-track only.

I'm not expecting miracles, just a bit better spread and maybe a few more geegees freed up.

It's a 'cruiser' not a racer' and wil otherwise remain stock.

OK, well, maybe some changes to anti-sway bars....the back end goes a bit light if I try to flick it through my regular roundabouts.

A sports car the RA40 is not! lol

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

Check if you have a leak between the head and the exhaust manifold.
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

What would this do?

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

The leak sounds like a ticking noise coming from the head.
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

Yeah, see what you mean. Had the head refurbishers look at it and they had a good listen and are "pretty certain" it's a single dodgy tappet. Probably a cuppet tappet end that's stuffing up the feeler gauge when checking it.