Thread: 4AGZE head gasket, other upgrades while i'm at it?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4AGZE head gasket, other upgrades while i'm at it?

Hey guys,

The other day i got home in the TA22 and temp got really hot right as i pulled in. I popped the bonnet and could hear the water boiling. Checked oil a bit later that night and bummer. I'm suspecting a head gasket at this stage.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strengthening/upgrades that i may as well do with the head off?

Down the track i'm hoping to put a sc pulley kit on to grab a bit more power so i'm thinking a bit of strengthening wouldn't go a stray (maybe ARP studs?)

anyway i am a bit of an engine noob so any suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

Kolby

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE head gasket, other upgrades while i'm at it?

ARP head studs, either a OEM 4agze headgasket (can get via toyota dealer of amayama) or use a 0.8mm mls trd headgasket (can get off gumtree) to pick up a little more compression. Ensure both block and head surface are in good condition (head could be skimmed while off anyways).
    Also while head is off wouldn't hurt to replace the valve stem seals and get a cut on the valve faces while it's at the machine shop getting the head face machined. (don't let them take too much off the head face surface, just a light skim).

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks for the response! Sorry i'm a bit slow; not on here a great deal and completely forgot to check back in. Will make sure i check in as i'm keen to get this all done

After having the mechanic check the Celica, it is definitely a blown head gasket.

I have had a quote for the head work. Bloke said he will do a vacuum and hardness test for free, pressure test for 100 and a skim for 70 (obviously depending how it seems after the test)

Do you have any advice as to where and how to track down the rest of the gaskets. Called Toyota and they can't get the VRS kit. I thought i'll go genuine toyo head gasket but have no clue where to get the inlet/ supercharger etc and even which gaskets i will need for the job. Still learning here.... Im assuming i will need head gasket, head bolts, valve stem seals, rocker cover gaskets, inlet gasket, supercharger gasket, water pump. Will grab a timing belt while i'm at it.... Any other bits i'll need?

edit: Also wow amayama prices are great. Are they reliable? i have sourced part numbers for the 4agze stuff from USA Toyota parts estore. I am hoping their part numbers are reliable as well.

This will be the first Head Gasket ive done.... if successful.

appreciate the help

cheers
    Last edited by kolby; 23-04-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot to ask something

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I've had great success with North Shore Toyota in NZ for getting parts that seem elusive in Aus. Also bear in mind that a 4AGE gasket kit will basically do everything on a 4AGZE aside from the SC inlet/outlet and join on top of the inlet manifold. And I've had good experiences with Amayama too.

Changing the head gasket is straight forward, especially when mounted RWD. If you are changing to ARP headstuds take care, as oil supply to the head comes up through the front left (from memory) head bolt hole. The head stud almost entirely fills the bolt hole, so may restrict oil supply. I drilled the hole out slightly to be safe. There's lots of discussion about it around the internet.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Had no issues buying quite a few things over the years from Amayama.

The 4ag ARP head studs have been redesigned so that you:
    a. don't have to cut one shorter or grind end of dist shaft. and
    b. thinner so there is no modification needed drilling out the head.

Is it a bigport or smallport?

bigport vrs https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/0411216110
    smallport vrs https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/0411216200

geez a lot more than the last one i got.