Thread: TA22 Tie rod end and Pitman arm

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Unhappy TA22 Tie rod end and Pitman arm

My 1974 TA22 had to go over pits to transfer registration to Tasmania; the report said RH inner tie rod end and pitman arm had to be replaced. I've got the parts and I've got the car jacked up and on axle stands.
    I've got the cotter pins out, nuts off etc but that's as far as I can go.
    The guys on YouTube just rip out the pins and nuts, turn the crown nut upside down, give it a bash with a hammer and everything comes off.
    The tie rod ends etc I've got are nothing like the YouTube yanks are demonstrating/changing and the pitman arm crosses under inner the tie rod, which makes getting any swing with the hammer at either of them impossible. Tried using a three clawed puller but can't get it to grip.
    I took a bunch of photo's but they refuse to upload.
    Can anybody give me a hand here?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: TA22 Tie rod end and Pitman arm

Quote Originally Posted by TasTA22 View Post
    My 1974 TA22 had to go over pits to transfer registration to Tasmania; the report said RH inner tie rod end and pitman arm had to be replaced. I've got the parts and I've got the car jacked up and on axle stands.
    I've got the cotter pins out, nuts off etc but that's as far as I can go.
    The guys on YouTube just rip out the pins and nuts, turn the crown nut upside down, give it a bash with a hammer and everything comes off.
    The tie rod ends etc I've got are nothing like the YouTube yanks are demonstrating/changing and the pitman arm crosses under inner the tie rod, which makes getting any swing with the hammer at either of them impossible. Tried using a three clawed puller but can't get it to grip.
    I took a bunch of photo's but they refuse to upload.
    Can anybody give me a hand here?
    Supercheap have balljoint breakers and most parts stores carry them. Unluckily can't add image, just google balljoint breaker. They have two levers pivot together, one has a forked end other a thick flat end then other end has a bolt to tighten jaws together before hammering back end to act as a wedge.
    Forgot to add make sure you check position of pitman arm on steering box shaft before removal. I usually put mark on shaft and old arm before removal, then put both pitman arms together and copy mark onto new arm. Saves a lot of hassle later if steering lock is correct now.
    Last edited by ToyTA22; 25-01-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks for that. I've managed to source 2 x separate tools for the job and hopefully they will get the old tie rod and arm out.

My personal experience, I have had to cut the god damn fu$@ng thing with the grinder. No amount of penetrating oil plus appropriate tools could help me.
    Tie Roda aren't so much the problem, it's the pitman arm on the steering box that's the real (insert worst swearword here)
    Tapered splines have to be the worst things ever invented.