Thread: Toyota Spacia: 4age/4agze-turbo/3SGTE conversion

Forum Member

Default Toyota Spacia: 4age/4agze-turbo/3SGTE conversion

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a Toyota Spacia with a 2lt 3S-FE engine. It is getting up there in mileage but its a great van. I am happy with the vehicle because of the space, driving position and solid build. My engine is getting tired and I'm considering pepping things up a bit. My issue is I need more torque low down because I live in a hilly area, plus for carrying and potentially towing. I am currently not happy with the fuel consumption of the current 2 liter, this may have to do with the van weighing 1400 kg also.

I have been hearing about modern volkswagen golfs and such which utilise small capacity engines with turbos and superchargers (heavily boosted) which deliver immense torque and power, yet remain relatively good on fuel consumption. So I am seeking information whether it is feasible to use a 1.6 4age/agze motor with turbo, that can deliver around 200-250 nm of torque low down the rev range, and be relatively economical? The 4age is an over square engine and my concern is whether the motor will have enough torque to be tractable when off boost, and putting along at 80kph and 110kph. I owned the similar Townace SBV model with a pushrod engine which had much less torque than a Spacia and was still adequate on the highways. (either rebuild a 4age and turbo it, or 4agze turbo conversion. 10-15psi)

Naturally, a 4age/agze turbo would need to be mounted on a suitable bellhousing for the existing gearbox. Engine mounts will also be different, and brackets for power steering and air conditioning. Plumbing also would need to be sorted. I'd source an aftermarket ECU.

The other option is to drop in a 3sgte, this should mount up to the existing gearbox and engine mount points. The distributor will probably foul up the fire wall, the inlet manifold is too high requiring shortening or changing, the sump and sump pickup requires changing. Again, an aftermarket ECU. I am concerned about the fuel consumption of this option, and I don't think I'd go this route.

Both engine swaps probably have other problems and issues I have not considered, let me know.

I would seriously need an LSD for the van. I once saw a Spacia/townace differential for sale on gumtree, which was a modified Hilux LSD shortened, it was $350 which wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't know where I can source one now.

There was a 3C-T 2.2 turbo diesel engine fitted to Japan market Spacias, and doing a diesel conversion might be an option, but the motors are rare in Aus. I don't know enough about diesels anyway. I owned a Yaris turbo diesel in Europe, and didn't really find it that great on fuel consumption - it was okay, but I expected better.

I have also considered selling the van and acquiring a hilux style side ute and doing a 4age/4agze turbo conversion. I will lose a tonne of room, and will need a canopy which will take the vehicle weight from 1200 kg to 1300 kg. An extra cab with canopy will weigh as much as the Spacia with much less room. But Hiluxes are more sought after if the time comes to sell and move on.

This is not so much a high performance type situation, I am a fan of Toyota commercials and use them for work and utilitarian purposes. Please don't ridicule me for being a van fan, I can use it for work, lock up my tools, whack the seats back in and carry 8 people if need be, then convert it to a camper .......and its a Toyota! I just need better fuel economy, and more grunt. On a budget also, but the build would be over time before the current engine is gone.

Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated......Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Harry Rehnquist; 14-01-2018 at 09:25 AM.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Spacia: 4age/4agze-turbo/3SGTE conversion

Another option could be a 1MZFE 3L V6.
    These are common (coming from Camry's), cheap to source and have plenty of torque in the ranges you would utilise for a van. The 1MZFE uses the same bell housing bolt pattern as 3S motors, so there is a good chance it would work with your current gearbox.

If you get a VVTi version, they are 156KW @ 5800 rpm with 328NM @ 4400 rpm.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Rehnquist View Post
    I have a Toyota Spacia with a 2lt 3C-FE engine.
    Just for accuracy it'll be a 3SFE engine, not the 3C (which as you noted further down is 2.2L and also a diesel).
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Forum Member

Hi knightrous! I have considered this option but I'd prefer using a four cylinder engine because a 6 will increase my annual rego by close to $200.

A trend happening in European car makers is to move away from 6's to turbo 4's because of the fuel efficiency and the ability to have an instant and sustained torque curve low down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Just for accuracy it'll be a 3SFE engine, not the 3C (which as you noted further down is 2.2L and also a diesel).
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit the thread.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I had a KR40g SBV
    4AGZE - the torque and economy will impress you. Small port 4AGE is also good. Would need a Nightparts bellhousing or equivalent. Spacia uses W55-58 pattern (G55 box)
    3SGTE - Too much fuel, and yes the dizzy is a problem. But if you dump the Toyota turbo and put in a T25g, you will have boost from ~2200+. Gen2 has more low down torque and boost the gen3+
    3C-T - Would be nice but expensive engines and bugger all info on them. I couldnt even find a wiring diagram.
    1MZ - Heads overhang the bellhousing, so you will have a big firewall problem.
    Beams / Turbo beams - Should fit and work well with good economy and power / torque. Probably need custom intake and exhaust manifolds. Use 5SFE oil pump and spacia sump / pickup.
    LSD - Spacia uses 'F' 7.5in diff, so there are heaps of LSD options. For manners go a torsen, for drift go a clutch type.