Thread: Having trouble bringing 4age ae86 back to life

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Having trouble bringing 4age ae86 back to life

Hey folks.

It's been a long time since I tried starting my 4age bluetop big-port converted ae86. It's been sitting under a carport roof for at least the past 6 or 7 years without being run and without any preparation for keeping it in a state of longterm disuse. The car's got huge sentimental value to me as I used to work on it with genius James Nicol before he passed away (Viper_Nipplex on toymods if that rings a bell for anyone). He did a lot to help me keep it on the road when I was still driving it and we had some fucking great times with it. Anyway, I'm on a mission to get this motherfucker running again. I've done an oil service, replaced battery, drained old fuel and replaced with new, replaced broken fuel pump (which definitely works now, fuel gets up to the engine bay at least), and have been trying to get it to turn over with no luck. Spark plugs are sparking (although not sure how strong that spark is) so at a guess, the injectors or valves are stuck shut, but I say that just because it seems like fuel is getting to the rail (although I'm not 100% on that, just know fuel is def getting through the line leading to it) so it feels like the problem is somewhere from the rail onwards.

I've tried to brute force it with a bit of start ya bastard out of desperation and there's definitely explosions going on; it'll cough and rev briefly with a liberal spray while cranking, it just can't seem to turn over off it's own steam. I'm wondering if anyone's had any similar experience after neglecting their motors in a similar fashion, or if anyone has an idea of what to start testing and how. I don't know a shitload about electrical systems or timing, so if anyone does have a suggestion, if you could talk to me like I'm an idiot, that'll be a good starting point. I'll upload a video soon but it's mostly just depressing footage of an engine struggling to turn over.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Having trouble bringing 4age ae86 back to life

The time for internal inspection is now, long overdue.

Purchase the complete gaskets sets required and slowly begin your disassembly and with cell phone camera, record your order of disassembly. Tear that fuel rail apart and apply a round brush to remove the solidified fuel deposits from the inside of that rail, an inspect to insure that each discharge port to the injects is clear.

Take each injector out and take them somewhere to get them tested, repaired and insure each has the correct spray pattern.

Get a fresh battery and compression gauge and test your compression of each cylinder and record the results.

Compare these results to the repair manual. Follow the troubleshooting section of that manual to do a proper follow-up.

Chances are if there was any rust on the cylinder walls, that and the old oil would make your rings stick to the back of the pistons, rings grooves filled with crud that requires a major tear-down if you can not freely expel that material from the cylinders using a chemical solvent which will help you to blow it out the spark plug holes.
    Last edited by 73GTV; 11-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Get a noid light or a VOM [not digital], and verify that you are getting a signal to the injectors. You could try cleaning the injector ground, 3 brown wires on the manifold first. If the signal checks out OK, then you will have to clean the injectors. You just need a 9v battery, a switch, carb cleaner and a method to seal the top of the injector. Buy new seals for the top and bottom of the injectors for re-installation. Lube the seals before pushing then back in the head and fuel rail. Davew7

Awesome, thanks folks. I'll be getting my hands on a noid light soon. If that checks out, I'll take the fuel rail off and check out the injectors and make sure there aren't any blockages in the rail. Any tips (apart from depressurising the fuel line into a container) on a clean fuel rail removal? If there's a good way to drain fuel out as it's coming off or maybe I should just be putting down a shitload of towels? Also, is there any particular method for getting old injectors out? Will they require more force?

Thanks again!

There really is not that much fuel in the rail. Put a rag around the inlet fuel line, because there will be some pressure and it will spray a little once the fitting is cracked. If there is not any pressure, go back and trouble shoot the fuel system. You should have around 43 PSI. The removal of the rail and injectors is straight forward, the only thing to watch for is the spring clips on the electrical connector. They can go flying when trying to remove them. I would still look at verifying the injector signal first. Odds are every low that all the injectors would be gummed up at the same time. DaveW7

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic