Thread: Help identifying this piece, it´s from a 1980 Toyota Celica TA40 (Eng: 2T 1600 CC)

Forum Member

Question Help identifying this piece, it´s from a 1980 Toyota Celica TA40 (Eng: 2T 1600 CC)

Hello, i'm from Argentina, so excuse my English.
    My father and I are having a hard time trying to identify a part from a TA 40 that goes into the intake manifold (pictures below).
    We don't know who this piece is called and how is mounted into the manifold. So those are my main questions.
    Also, do you people know where to find a repair manual for this car? I´ve been looking through the internet like crazy, but I couldn't find any, or didn't mention this part at all.

PICTURES: https://imgur.com/a/Zq9dX

THanks.
    Last edited by Leito360; 29-11-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: Help identifying this piece, it´s from a 1980 Toyota Celica TA40 (Eng: 2T 1600 CC

Likely to be a temperature operated switch for vacuum lines. Vac lines are usually hooked up to the carby for emissions reasons. Should be ok to leave it not installed if the engine is running fine. T series engine manual is on this site somewhere. Search in the tech section for posts by river

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Help identifying this piece, it´s from a 1980 Toyota Celica TA40 (Eng: 2T 1600 CC

it screws into the head or block and turns on and off a passage between the two vacuum ports on it. its called a bvsv. bimetal vacuum switching valve.
    tbis should help!!!
    one of these images will be urs.
    right click on the image and download it to see it full size
    https://partsouq.com/ru/catalog/toyota/part?catalog=EU&model_code=TA40L-BCHDS&group=1708

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

the truth is it really doesnt need to be used. just thread it back in to seal the coolant off and run manifold vacuum tube directly from the intake manifold to the distributor advance diaphragm. it is used to turn vacuum advanve off (retards the timing) when the engine is cold enough, so that fuel is burned up completely which incidently also heats up the engine. so really, your better off without it. Let the engine have its vacuum advance all the time. when u step on the accelerator the vacuum advance will drop out so u will not create any pining or detonation issues by bypassing this thing.